Dunnerdale Fell Race - Sat 14 Nov - Spare seat in my car!

Moderators: Philip Barnes, Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Dunnerdale Fell Race - Sat 14 Nov - Spare seat in my car!

Postby Brian J » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:10 pm

Off for a day trip to Dunnerdale Fell Race on Saturday with the Daves T and W.
Spare seat going if anyone wants it. Probably leave Wilmslow before 9am.
This is a classic Lakes fell race in miniature. Very atmospheric. Only 5 miles but well worth the trip.
Anyone interested?
Brian J
Front runner

Re: Dunnerdale Fell Race - Sat 14 Nov - Spare seat in my car

Postby Colin Ardron » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:43 am

Brian, if seat not taken I would like to join you on this jaunt - I feel the need to test out my new orthotics on proper fell terrain.
Colin Ardron
Elite athlete

Postby mhlewis » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:13 am

I feel the need to test out my new orthotics on proper fell terrain

Famous last words before many a fell race. Good luck Colin!

Alternative famous last words include:
"I feel the need to test out my new Inov-8 fell shoes"
"I feel the need to test out my new wind-cheating 'low-rider' running gait"
"I feel the need to test out my new 'as-one-goes-down, one-comes-up' system for eating jelly babies"
They all end in disaster
Matt Lewis
mhlewis
Elite athlete

Postby Julian Brown » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:35 pm

'I know the sole's looking a bit flappy but I'm sure there's another race in them Walsh's.'
'Simon Bailey got round in 40 minutes, so it can't be that hard a race: I'll try and keep up with him.'
'No, don't need to look at the map just yet, I'm sure we should aim for that bit of wall / sheep just over there'
'I stayed warm and dry last time I wore that coat in July, and anyway it might not rain.'
'I had a sip of that energy drink and it tasted more or less ok: I'm sure I'll be fine on it and nothing else for the next 14 hours.'

And so on.
Julian Brown
Elite athlete

Postby Brian J » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:38 pm

Hello Colin - Yes, you're in the team. All seats now taken. Will email you about the arrangements. Hope the new orthotics are waterproof. We shouldn't be too far behind Simon Bailey. Just hope he has not eaten all the pies by the time we get to the village hall. We should win the Grumpy Old Men Team Trophy with no trouble at all.
Brian J
Front runner

Postby Philip Barnes » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:36 am

Have a great day out guys, only injury prevents me from joining you :(
Don't forget to visit The Blacksmiths Arms, "...the only pub in the Lake District listed in the National Inventory of historic pubs." :D
"The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict."
http://www.jolokia.uk.com
Philip Barnes
Elite athlete

Postby david tucker » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:53 pm

The pub's a bit like us then!
david tucker
Elite athlete

Postby Brian J » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:22 pm

The Grumpy Old Men’s Team set off and braved weather much more timid than promised. However, the threat of bad weather had diminished the field by about 100 runners. The GOMT arrived back in Wagslow only 50% grumpy. Tucker was grumpy turning to angry but will subside when he directs his anger towards himself rather than me. Colin and I returned feeling somewhat more content and we may have had a little smug look upon our faces. Modesty prevents us from saying any more, but suffice to say that our wine cellars are now better stocked than when we set of in the morning.
I overtook a lady called Lindsey on the descent and she wished me to convey her love and best wishes to Phil Cheek. Must have been the sight of my Macc vest.
Still a classic race. Great company. Many thanks to the Daves and Colin. Without your commitment I would not have maintained the enthusiasm to go in the face of that forecast.
Brian J
Front runner

Postby BARRY BLYTH » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:53 pm

Tour of Pendle was reduced to 14 mls because of the forecast. It wouldn't have been fun for the marshalls. Most were happier with this despite it becoming a BL. No wine (made do with a pint in the local) but 3 of us picked up vouchers. A day "off" tomorrow (gym).

Barry
BARRY BLYTH
Elite athlete

Postby Colin Ardron » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:59 pm

I will not fall into the trap of false modesty - I won the O/70 (in spite of all the dire omens - note to Matt, please keep up the good work!!) and Brian won the O/60 prize. And before all you naysayers take finger to plastic, a forecast of dire weather had put off all but the very best so it was indeed a quality field.
These things happen only once in a while so I will milk it for all it's worth - I completed this race against advice from those close to me that it might be better if I were to be consigned to a secure place rather than venture on such a reckless adventure whilst carrying an ankle injury. But I tested the new orthotics on a proper little fell race - and guess what? They done good!
Colin Ardron
Elite athlete

Postby Philip Barnes » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:03 pm

Fantastic guys! Well done! So sorry I couldn't make it!
"The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict."
Philip Barnes
Elite athlete

Postby Colin Ardron » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:03 pm

It wasn't easy finding them (hidden in the darkest recesses of Black Combe Runners forum) but here they are:

http://forum.bcrunners.org.uk/?PostBack ... mentID=240

I have instigated a steward's enquiry over the 3 second difference in Tucker's and my times - especially as I had to lead him across the finish field in floods of tears brought on by the sight of Brian coming in before him. The time keepers were clearly overwhelmed by the vulgar display of emotion and gave Tucker a 3 sec advantage over my good self. That's gratitude for you. :cry: :cry:
Colin Ardron
Elite athlete

Postby Philip Barnes » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:21 pm

Is it just me or is Tucker's performance slightly suspect this close to the handicap????
Philip Barnes
Elite athlete

Postby Colin Ardron » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:13 pm

Yes I nearly forgot to say what Brian has already said - that the lovely Lindsey sends her regards to Mr Cheek - I did opine that I couldn't for the life of me think why she would want to do such a thing but as they say, chacun a son gout (or words to that effect).
Colin Ardron
Elite athlete

Postby Brian J » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:24 pm

Thanks for finding the results Colin! Comparing them with last year's shows I was fortunate to be the first M60. Last year there were 235 runners compared to this year's 134. Although the winning time was 38-27 compared to last year's 39-26, I was 2-47 slower at 66-38. Last year the fastest M60 was 53-24 and I was the 7th M60. Interestingly, this year I would have come a poor second in the W60 class, behind the evergreen Wendy Dodds who took 60-34.
However, there are no hollow victories against Tucker where a victory is a victory is a victory. Sorry we won't be competing in the same class again at next year's Dunnerdale Dave!
Brian J
Front runner

Return to Fell Running