Dunnerdale

Postby Philip Barnes » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:26 pm

Anyone fancy this?

Date & time: Sat 8th Nov 2014 at 12:00
Region: Lake District
Category: AS
Distance: 8km / 5m
Climb: 550m / 1804ft
Venue: Blacksmiths Arms, Broughton Mills.
Grid ref: 223905
Skills & experience: ER, PM, LK, NS
Minimum age: 17
"The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict."
http://www.jolokia.uk.com
Philip Barnes
Elite athlete

Re: Dunnerdale

Postby BARRY BLYTH » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:24 pm

Hi Phil,
you will be driving for a lot longer than you are running (only 8k in the lakes)!. It clashes with the Roaches on 9th Nov (a club race) and cross country on 8th . At >24k and 1128 you get a lot more for the same entry fee.

cheers Barry
BARRY BLYTH
Elite athlete

Postby Julie Gardner » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:06 pm

Hi Phil

This little race used to be very popular when the "FRA do" used to be in Kendal every year, it obviously got a good field of runners then.

However, I agree. With BB it is s long way to go for a short and very fast race. It stays on the lower fells on very runnable and grassy terrain.

Julie
Julie Gardner
Mid pack runner

Postby Brian J » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:07 pm

This is a superb little gem of a race which I have done many times. Whilst only 8km long and never going above 375m it is largely on open fell. It's a true Lakeland race in miniature. Great atmosphere whether in the little wood and tin village hall that is used for the changing room, pie and tea and prizegiving or in the Blackmith's Arms next door (on the CAMRA heritage list).
I'll be going but may not be offering a lift as I may call in at Preston on the way back. A popular race so get there reasonably early. Parking is on the road so you could have a fairly long walk to the hall.
As for the Roaches, I never do it as I usually run Dunnerdale. However, I will be marshalling again.
Brian J
Front runner

Postby Brian J » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:50 pm

Barry - you missed an excellent race. You should have been there no, pig slurry to be seen and you would not have had to trail along in Julian's wake. John M and I were the only ones flying the Macc flag but Phil B was there flying something like one of the Iberian flags. After the race he seemed very smug that he had not been dissuaded from such a long journey north. As for John, I never saw him after the start, only his name in the results above Phil and me. I suspect he was celebrating in the Blacksmiths Arms next door to the village hall. 235 runners, 1st Rob Jebb (39-36, 102nd John M (56-52), 123rd Phil B (59-29) 156th BJ (63-57). Great race, great day out. See some more of you there next year?
Brian J
Front runner

Postby mhlewis » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:15 pm

Iberian flag you say? I find it more reminiscent of a South American narco-republic. :lol:
Matt Lewis
mhlewis
Elite athlete

Postby Brian J » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:26 pm

I think you're on the right lines Matt. Adding a royal blue stripe between the yellow and red would not only improve it but mirror the Colombian flag.
Brian J
Front runner

Return to Fell Running