Fell Handicap 2013

Moderators: Philip Barnes, Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Re: Fell Handicap 2013

Postby Colin Ardron » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:18 pm

As the inaugural holder of the illustrious Fell Handicap Shield, I feel constrained to petition for an exceedingly generous handicap. You may question my temerity but only if you had no experience of the enormous psychological burden that shouldering such a prestigious award entails. This has resulted in me being worn down both mentally and physically to a shadow of my former self to such a degree that no handicapper worth his salt would have any choice other than to set me off with the first showing of daylight.
I rest my case and feel under no obligation to descend to the sordid depths of offering bribes and/or prayers to false gods but I might just buy you a pint if you set me off early.
Colin Ardron
Elite athlete

Postby Steve Swallow » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:39 pm

15th also fine with me - looking forward to it
Thanks!
Steve Swallow
Plodder

Postby phil cheek » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:34 am

All,
Dec 15th it is.
St Dunstans booked
Julian,can you do a post on the home page please
phil
phil cheek
Elite athlete

Postby david tucker » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:07 pm

Well done Phil. Another fearsome pre Christmas event to look forward to. Please check all my P B's etc this year to give me a start time as late as possible. I beat Diggers last year so need to start further down the field this time.
I assume you will publish the start times well in advance? Thanks
david tucker
Elite athlete

Postby Philip Barnes » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:05 pm

Good job Phil! Please take Tucker's comments seriously!
"The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict."
http://www.jolokia.uk.com
Philip Barnes
Elite athlete

Postby Clare GVS » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:46 am

15th is good for me, thanks Phil!

I was going to get in an early whine for a first wave start due to injury/not doing much but if I bring Kirby the collie again then dog-assisted speed probably cancels that out (although we did do about an extra half mile last year in pursuit of interesting smells and crows). My times for this year - not very good. Kirby's times are great, as always.
Clare GVS
Front runner

Postby Julian Brown » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:32 pm

First dog is always keenly contested (probably more so than the human race) - indeed the outright winner has had 4 legs in the past (no, not a pantomime horse)
Julian Brown
Elite athlete

Postby MuddyBird » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:54 pm

Just put it on the calendar!
Count me in please Phil.
Sarah Ledbury
MuddyBird
Plodder

Postby david tucker » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:07 pm

Handicap's gone a bit quiet lately Phil. Is everything going well with the calculated comparative finishing times?

A recce run to include the sweetie tree location would be in order for anyone who may not know its whereabouts. A Sunday run for a truncated handicap route run to include it could be in order to do this. Post here if you are interested.

Doing the Lake-land classic Screes race on Saturday with Brian and Dave W so will be striving to get a well good time to ensure fair handicapping.
david tucker
Elite athlete

Postby Simon » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:26 pm

Clare GVS wrote:15th is good for me, thanks Phil!

I was going to get in an early whine for a first wave start due to injury/not doing much but if I bring Kirby the collie again then dog-assisted speed probably cancels that out (although we did do about an extra half mile last year in pursuit of interesting smells and crows). My times for this year - not very good. Kirby's times are great, as always.

Don't fall for it Phil... Clare didn't do so bad at Windgather today! :! :wink:
Simon
Elite athlete

Postby phil cheek » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:18 pm

Tucker,
yes,good idea to visit the sweetie tree at least once on a recce run & a Sunday would be good.
Please organise & in return I`ll give you an extra minute!!!!!!,but again I may have to penalise a couple of minutes as you`ll be so familiar with the terrain
Phil
phil cheek
Elite athlete

Postby MikeG » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:40 pm

I'm tempted!
I presume handicaps are done on recent form, not last time running the Handicap!
Also, 5 Grandchildren must be worth something!
best wishes, Mike G
MikeG
Mid pack runner

Postby Colin Ardron » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:42 am

2 grand children, several assorted sheep, twelve demanding tenants and the sheer mental burden of having won the handicap last year - must count for something :cry:
Colin Ardron
Elite athlete

Postby david tucker » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:35 pm

I can confirm there will be a Sweetie Tree Recce on Sunday 24th November. This will be posted on the forum the Friday before the 24th as a Sunday run and besides the sweetie tree will include as much of the proper route as we can squeeze in ~2 hours.

Perhaps Mr Cheek could confirm if there is a "miss out the sweetie tree" option and if there is, what is the time penalty?

The purpose of the recce is to try and keep everyone on course on the day so if you have any rabid ideas of winning it, you're doomed.
Last edited by david tucker on Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
david tucker
Elite athlete

Postby Philip Barnes » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:49 pm

Dear Mr Cheek,
The following runners are still in the Fell Champs:
Steve Watts
Mandy Calvert
Barry Blyth
Mathew Lewis
John Mooney
Philip Barnes
Sarah Ledbury
Trevor Longman

For this race to count, the sweetie tree is mandatory. Given the nefarious activities of some of our compatriots in the past(no name, no packdrill) :oops:, can you be extra vigilant and ensure they all return with the necessary evidence?
"The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict."
http://www.jolokia.uk.com
Philip Barnes
Elite athlete

PreviousNext

Return to Fell Running