Bob Graham Round

Moderators: Philip Barnes, Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Re: Bob Graham Round

Postby BARRY BLYTH » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:25 pm

Hi Simon,
planning to go up on friday so should be able to support on the 1st leg (Trevor L as well) and maybe leg 4 as well. I've not spotted a summary detail of your leg suppport (no puns!) etc. What time are you setting off.

Barry
BARRY BLYTH
Elite athlete

Postby Simon » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:55 pm

Well Barry, 18.30 on a clockwise 23.30 schedule looks promising. I haven't finished the spreadsheet thing yet, but 'tis coming together. I'll put your name down for Leg 1 and a ?Leg 4.

How does that sound?

I actually have a embarrassment of riches pretty much all round the way round now, but a sociable and happy throng we shall make. I need everyone to exhibit their full skillset of wit and banter to lighten the day. Full body cover, map, compass, whistle and one-liners are essential kit. :wink: :lol:

Be good to have you along, but don't go whipping off like a racing snake :roll:
Simon
Elite athlete

Postby Simon » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:18 pm

Going for the penultimate recce in the Lakes on Thursday (26th April) morning (probably cover some ground on Leg 4), and later in the day, meeting Chris Cripps to have a look at the Foxes Tarn approach to Scafell.

Julie Gardner may come along, but anyone else?

If I am on my own, I may go there and back in the day and spend some time on my feet locally.
Simon
Elite athlete

Postby davewalker » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:18 am

Simon

I am not working Thursday or Friday so would not mind tagging along with you.Quite happy to drive.

Dave Walker
davewalker
Plodder

Postby Simon » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:54 pm

Well, the trip to the Lakes didn't come off despite dithering over whether to take a punt on the weather. The MWIS forecast looked pretty pants and I thought a safer bet would be a to stay local and do a few thousand feet round here.

To this effect, got up early Thursday and replicated the Phil's (Cheek and Barnes) hill rep session from the forest up on to Shuts (then up Shuts again!) with Dave Walker. And a good session it was too. A cup of tea later and I did 4 reps of Teggs (2000') and kept the dog trim! The rain on the hill was actually very agreeable.

Having heard a good deal about the merits of Lose Hill / MamTor / Hollins Cross, we went over there on Friday morning. It was wet and on the descent down a narrow gorge into Castleton I bemoaned the lack of grip on my Crosslites compared to Mudclaws, but to be honest, the limestone was that slippy, I don't think it really mattered what was on my feet. Did a couple of reps of Lose Hill and that proved to be a very nice hill to train on... could do with being a bit steeper but very runnable descent and long enough to feel useful.

After getting home (and a another cup of tea), did the traditional Teggs reps (2000' again) but with a few route variations to keep me awake.

Got one of those "Bazzin' Headtorches" and it looks good. Yet to try it in anger, but need to do some dark running practice anyway. The aim of longer, specific sessions and return to shiftwork have conspired against the Wednesday nights, but a couple of refreshers are called for... maybe a trot round the Handicap route one night?

Going up to do 2 legs (1 & 2) consecutively next weekend.

Four weeks to go..........
Simon
Elite athlete

Postby phil cheek » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:03 pm

Yes but what about that route from Mickledore to Scafell.....SOMEONE must be able to lead it
phil cheek
Elite athlete

Postby Digby » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:40 pm

I am now available that w/e and can do leg 3 and maybe leg 4 too. Can help do mickledore to scafell summit via foxes and down to wasdale.
Digby
Elite athlete

Postby Simon » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:03 pm

A good friend of mine (Gerry Dewhurst) is planning to step in to nav round the Foxes Tarn portion of Leg 3, but your support is very welcome Digby. It'll be good to have you there.

Now, what more do I need to do to make this a successful weekend........?

If I get the chance, I may pop up on another occasion besides the 2-leg bonanza next weekend.

I'll put the finishing touches to the spreadsheet and circulate it this week. Then, the catering arrangements need attending to... no mean feat.
Simon
Elite athlete

Postby phil cheek » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:08 pm

Digby,it will be great to have you along on leg3.
The key here is that Simon needs to use the climbers traverse from Mickledore to Foxes,evidence of the last couple of years is that this is several minutes quicker than Lords rake & much much better than the walkers routefrom mickledore to Foxes which drops a long way.
Don`t know if you know how to find this?
Phil
phil cheek
Elite athlete

Postby Simon » Fri May 11, 2012 4:11 pm

As some folk may know, I have been struck down by a damned awful stomach upset (Campylabacter) that has left me feeling rather drained to say the least

(note to self: approach all takeaway food with utter caution... you ought to have known better :roll: ).

Hence, plans have been faltering and training as good as ground to a halt at this crucial late hour :cry: .

I seem to be recovering but the $64million question is, "Will I be fit enough come the day?"

Can't say for sure, but eating now; shall try and get a tester day in and maybe get to Lakes once more and keep my legs turning over in between... as far as I am concerned, two weeks today I am planning to be there.
Simon
Elite athlete

Postby BARRY BLYTH » Fri May 11, 2012 6:41 pm

Hi Simon,
the enforced rest is probably no bad thing. I get the impression that you have enough miles/hills in your legs. Would be interested to see your final schedule/plan. Are you going to put it on this link.

cheers Barry

PS Just got over a dose of "Novovirus" which I picked up last friday hence missed Rainow 5. Will be doing Andy's race tomorrow. Seem to be a lot of bugs going round.
BARRY BLYTH
Elite athlete

Postby mudskimmer » Fri May 11, 2012 8:27 pm

We will be there anyway.

The walkers route from Foxes - will add too much time. I've done the climbers traverse a couple of times - a long time ago, and even then you had to know what to look for as it can be obscured by low growing vegetation. Having said that, it is a good alternative up to Scafell Pike. Its worth a recce unless you are 100% certain of finding it.
mudskimmer
Elite athlete

Postby Julie Gardner » Fri May 11, 2012 8:59 pm

I have booked the flat at Greendale Bridge for next Friday night. If anyone cares to join me and extend the booking to the Saturday night to go over the Foxes Tarn route, JNR, BGR or Lakeland 100 route then let me know. It is £35 a night and there is a double, bunk and sofa bed - so 4 bedded (or 6 if couples take double and sofa) and anyone else the floor.

The flat is what it is, warm and comfortable and just below Middlefell and a mile and a bit to the pubs (off road). There are no beige or white carpets or furniture and you can happily trundle in with wet clothes etc. I have used it many times and really like the convenience of staying there.......especially after the JNR.

Please email me on julie-gardner1960@hotmail.co.uk if you are interested.

kind regards

Julie
Julie Gardner
Mid pack runner

Postby Simon » Sat May 12, 2012 8:29 am

Sadly, working long days Friday and Saturday... can vouch for the flat though... all you could want and a great location.

Planning a long-ish session tomorrow... perhaps the regular Sunday run and then go over to Mam Tor and do some reps of Lose Hill? Any takers?

Working a long day Tuesday, then going upto Lakes on Wednesday with Gerry Dewhurst to look at Scafell Pike -> Wasdale via Foxes Tarn.

Hopefully, back on track... :D
Simon
Elite athlete

Postby Simon » Tue May 15, 2012 10:16 am

Sunday was a lovely day, but anyone present could see that I struggled... just couldn't seem to sustain a run and obviously still feeling the effects of being ill :( . Very sociable though and as a newcomer to the environs of Edale and Kinder, I enjoyed the ruggedness of it all. Being conscious of the fact that I was off the back (not a problem in the slightest) and the fact that Kinder all looks the same to me, I limited my stroll and got back to the cafe in good time. Got home and spent some time with the family rather than push too much on the slopes of Lose Hill.

So as for the BG, prognosis for next week not great. Tomorrow, (provided I still feel OK), I am meeting Gerry at Brotherswater and exploring the route around Foxes Tarn. Head up from Boot -> Scafell Pike -> Foxes Tarn -> Scafell -> Wasdale. If I can then get up Yewbarrow in scheduled time, I think we might be OK....

Stomach settling and I even had a beer last night, though everything tastes different :?

Everyone has been so supportive and encouraging ... thanks for that...Now people have made plans around my attempt, I really don't want to be messing people about.

If I am ever heard to suggest a kebab again, please feel free to refresh my memory. :oops: :roll:

I'll be in touch....
Simon
Elite athlete

PreviousNext

Return to Fell Running