Sunday Run 4th December 2011

Moderators: Philip Barnes, Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Sunday Run 4th December 2011

Postby david tucker » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:53 pm

9.30 At the Gradbach Grumble public car park near Gradbach Youth Hostel (998 663). Pl. car share as space is limited.

A re-run around the recent Gradbach Grumble night time orienteering event, visiting most of the control locations and hosted by Mr Brian Jackson. This besides an excuse for a run, will provide an opportunity to see where the controls were you couldn't find, see the whole route or most of it in daylight and locate yourself to where you actually went on the night. As a bonus you will also be able to see who you are running with. No torch required.

Checkpoint locations here:-
http://www.mh.k313.com/mh/fell/GradbachCheckpoints.doc

Map here:- (I will bring some copies on Sunday)
http://www.mh.k313.com/mh/fell/gradbach.pdf

Afterwards at Blaze Farm, Ice cream cafe, Wildboarclough for tea and cakes. http://www.blazefarm.com/index.php

And the following week (11.12.11) its the previously publicised run from Phil Barnes lake side residence Nr. Bollington. Our appreciation to Phil for rescheduling this to allow Brian's appearance as Sunday's leader.

Then the next week after that its the Handicap Race (18.12.11)

david tucker
Elite athlete

Re: Sunday Run 4th December 2011

Postby Simon » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:31 am

Would anyone passing mind picking me and my faithful hound up from Langley en route to Gradbach.

Out all day tomorrow, but on the number below and will keep an eye on here.

I shall, of course return the favour or pay for your cake at Blaze Farm.

See you Sunday.
Simon
Elite athlete

Postby Brian J » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:42 pm

The all controls route is around 13.6km and 450m climb. That should take us 2-15+?
At the event I planned last weekend 3 competitors got round the longest course (14.7Km -775m) in 1-40. They were British Orienteering Squad members in their early 20s, so that's no guide. Will bring the map to the café.

I can pick up Simon and another one or two. Let me know where and when.
Brian J
Front runner

Postby Simon » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:11 pm

Thanks for the offer Brian, but Dave Walker has offered. Won't have the dog, as she's a spent force after a day in the rain and wind on the Haworth Hobble route.

See there tomorrow. :)
Simon
Elite athlete

Postby david tucker » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:34 pm

Thanks to Brian for so nobaly leading today's run. All checkpoints visited in about 2 hrs 20 mins. Now we all know what happened on the night and where we were!

A change to next weeks publicised run that was to have been from Phil Barne's. This is now planned for 8th Jan 2012. We hope to go to Common Barn to see Rhona next week instead.
david tucker
Elite athlete

Postby BrianMac » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:45 pm

Most enjoyable run today, thanks Brian.
The route we took is here, the out and backs were intentional.

http://runkeeper.com/user/BrianMacc/activity/62004518

BrianMac
Honorary Paparazzi

Postby Donworkin » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:53 pm

Yes, thanks Brianj for an interesting route. We are lucky you know, having these wonderful ancient paths on our door-step, which we can roam at our leisure and then pop into some farm or other for tea and a bite. Such is life for the likes of us to be far from the madding crowds. It may only last for a few hours but it's a tonic worth taking.

Tucker- every time I look at your avatar I feel queasy. Why don't you aspire to something more creature friendly. Now how about mine? One can see I cut a fine figure with those sculptured features and a sense of purpose. No wonder the chicks go wild just for a fleeting glance. True, I may take flight if i'm threatened harshly but on the whole I can take it on the beak. :lol:
Donworkin
Elite athlete

Postby Brian J » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:59 pm

I thought the pace was just perfect today. We never put ourselves in any danger or got into any sticky predicaments, and were not shouted at by any irate property owners. We avoided the later downpours and whatever weather it was that closed the Snake Pass. What did I do wrong? Hope it was not too uneventful. I enjoyed it. Thanks to Tucker for the idea.
Brian J
Front runner

Postby Simon » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:04 pm

My inaugural Sunday bash was a joy... thanks to Brian for guiding us and to all for a convivial morning. Afraid I DIDN'T miss the weather... driving sleety hail on top of Shuts and Piggford Moor, but it had a perverse charm about it. Altogether, a success. :D

Thanks.
Simon
Elite athlete

Return to Fell Running