Joss Naylor Challenge

Moderators: Philip Barnes, Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Postby LARRY » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:37 pm

Sorry for being thick but I don't actually know the route? Can someone enlighten me please?

Ta Larry
LARRY
Elite athlete

Postby Colin Ardron » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:57 pm

Route to Nether Wasdale or Eskdale?
The JNC route can be found at: http://www.gofar.org.uk/ under Lake District Challenges
Colin Ardron
Elite athlete

Postby Julie Gardner » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:07 pm

Phil

You can put me down for an early start from Pooley Bridge and help again on the last leg. However, will assist wherever needed.

Binge drinking making you a bit forgetful Phil?
Julie Gardner
Mid pack runner

Postby Clare GVS » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:13 pm

I've put the date in my diary, I (and possibly Rik too) can support. I'll offer pack mule services for any leg as I don't know the route. Happy to either stay in Joe's flat or stick the tent up.
Clare GVS
Front runner

Postby Hazel » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:41 pm

Have been looking at camp sites as friends/family coming up for the weekend. The only one I can find near enough - Church Stile Camp site, Nether Wasdale - has booking for minimum of 2 nights, and we were all thinking of camping just for the one night. Don't want to be any further away from the pub as want to fall/crawl from the pub into my tent. I am assuming there are no others, but if I am wrong please let me know. If not, will book anyway when I get back from Scotland next week.
Hazel
Elite athlete

Postby phil cheek » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:12 pm

Hazel,
The only campsite I know is VERY close to the pub at GR124042,I think this may be the one you mean.
You could try telling them it`s a Joss Naylor Challenge group & there could be quite a few folk who could be shoved in a corner somewhere.Worth a try.
Phil
phil cheek
Elite athlete

Postby Hazel » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:54 pm

Thanks Phil, it must be the one. Will take your advice when I ring them
Hazel
Elite athlete

Postby Simon » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:57 pm

Hazel or Phil, could you give me a call...

07709 261715.

I would love to come along to this, and a word about the logistics may be useful at this stage.

Cheers
Simon
Elite athlete

Postby Hazel » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:12 pm

Have just been on phone to campsite at Nether Wasdale. They are adamant they only take bookings for 2 nights at weekends that time of year.

I have been in touch with the Old Post Office Camp Site at Santon Bridge which is about a mile further on from Nether Wasdale. They are happy for people to stay one night only. As far as booking is concerned they ask that we let them know how many are going to camp by 1st June, and if more than ten before that.

Unless anyone knows of any reason why we shouldn't camp there, I intend doing so with my family. It won't be too far to stagger from the pub, I am sure I am capable of crawling that far if needs must!!

Their web site is www.theoldpostofficecampsite.co.uk. Description, tariff etc. is on it.
Hazel
Elite athlete

Postby phil cheek » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:30 pm

Hazel,
That campsite is miles from the pub & NOT walkable.
You`d be better payiong 2 nights at the Eskdale site.
The alternative is IF I can arrange wildcamping outside Joss`s house.
I`ll ask.
Phil
phil cheek
Elite athlete

Postby phil cheek » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:32 am

I`ve emailed Monica to register our attempt & ask if Joss can manage to arrange wild camping at Greendale.
I`ve also taken the the liberty of inviting Joss,his wife & Monica to be our guests for supper at the pub,& to ask Joss to accompany us on the last leg.
I trust no-one objects
Phil
phil cheek
Elite athlete

Postby Hazel » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:34 pm

Whoops - it looked only a mile away on the map, thanks for letting me know! Will have to tell family and have change of plan. Great you've invited Joss & Co for meal.
Hazel
Elite athlete

Postby phil cheek » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:29 pm

Bad news,nowhere to camp near joss`s so it looks like folk will have to pay for 2 nights in the site near the pub.
Worse news,Joss had a biking accident in Spain & is in hospital over there,not due bnack in UK for another few weeks.
Monica tells me "club attempts" are not allowed but I think our little jaunt will be ok because we will have a pacer for each contender all the way.i`ll talk to her again.
Phil
phil cheek
Elite athlete

Postby Digby » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:09 pm

Phil
I have that w/e earmarked to support the attempts and am happy to navigate/pace. If the contenders didn't mind then I might try and come with them (or one of them) the whole way.
Digby
Digby
Elite athlete

Postby Digby » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:12 pm

Re: accommodation
What about a couple or three, four large club tents? I'm happy to pay for two nights but do not envisage staying on Friday. I have a large 4 man, family tent with porch area that we could use if someone would be willing to take it round to Wasdale and put it up?
Digby
Elite athlete

PreviousNext

Return to Fell Running