POGU Spikes, PETZL Spikeys or something else?

Moderators: Philip Barnes, Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

POGU Spikes, PETZL Spikeys or something else?

Postby Philip Barnes » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:15 pm

What do people think is the best overshoe crampony things for running in icy weather?
"The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict."
http://www.jolokia.uk.com
Philip Barnes
Elite athlete

Postby Beneficial Dictator » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:33 pm

Kahtoola's seem to be the "favoured by many brand" though availibilty to actually buy will probably more the issue. There are 2 models & both have merits though I think I would go for the micros with running shoes. The model with the longer spikes are in my opinion more for boots / conditions when very little actual running would be done. You can link to through suppliers for them from the Run further website & even read a review by our member Mark Hartell.

Cheers.
Craig
Beneficial Dictator
Elite athlete

Postby Stephen Watts » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:57 pm

Kahtoola Micro Spikes are the way to go for running. An excellent bit of kit and well worth £45. Mine are into their third year, with significant use last year and are showing no real signs of wear. Work better with a not too deeply treaded shoe; I found that the spikes tend to get a bit lost in the deep tread on Mudclaws. Some cheap identical looking copies for sale on ebay for our smaller footed friends, but the low price might well mean low quality?

Think this is the article Craig is referring to, although this is about the KTS rather than the micro spikes.: http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/news.php?id=3197

Worth a read just for the photography :wink:
Stephen Watts
Mid pack runner

Postby LARRY » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:04 pm

A cheaper alternative if you would prefer a spike free method are the Yaktrax, available in Yeomans for a very reasonable £15 and they work just as well.

http://www.yaktrax.co.uk/

But to be fair I will be buying some Kahtoolas when I have some pocket money spare, they're way cooler! :lol:
LARRY
Elite athlete

Postby Clare GVS » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:39 pm

I took my new Kahtoola microspikes for a day in the snow last Tuesday and can't say enough good things about them. I 'm usually pretty tentative on ice but ended up jogging down a thick patch of ice, they're so confidence-inspiring. I agree with Steve, they fit better on my Flyrocs than Mudclaws and they feel and sound so horrible on cleared tarmac that you have to look for patches of snow to walk on (or just take them off, which only takes a few seconds). Other than that they're fab.
Clare GVS
Front runner

Postby mudskimmer » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:28 pm

I've been using my yaktraks for about 5yrs now - & as most of you know if there is a hint of snow & ice its usually me that hits the deck. The yaktraks have been great on trail and fell shoes and kept me upright.
Im 'indoors uses the other fancy things - Kahtoula
mudskimmer
Elite athlete

Postby matt kowalski hicks » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:25 pm

kahtoolas are great - most usefull for getting back from the off license on icy pavements with goodies intact. sometimes run in them too. you just need to check re. sizings if you have a narrow foot as the chains then hang a bit slack
matt kowalski hicks
Front runner

Return to Fell Running