Lambs Longer Leg Results

Moderators: Philip Barnes, Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Lambs Longer Leg Results

Postby Colin Ardron » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:58 pm

Weather is one of the great variables of fell running which makes even a short classic like the Lambs Longer Leg an interesting proposition - oodles of rain mist and mud were the order of the day. Organised by the redoubtable Brian Shelmerdine this is a race which epitomises all that is good about sport. Those amongst us who are befuddled by the bright lights and shenanigans of soccer and darts (darts?) should take note. Here we have sport at its most beautiful - simple in concept, hard in practice -these events are seared into the collective memory of those who would partake -- no toilets, no showers, no massage, no post race counselling - just pure fun.

Simon Bailey took the honours in a time of 26.37

Barry Blyth 1st v70 - 38.42
Julie Gardner 1st v55 - 40.30
Trevor Longman 2nd v65 - 46.48
Colin Ardron 2nd v70 - 46.52

I have to say that I went wrong at the most important checkpoint on the course - the farmer's muck heap - thereby allowing Mr Longman to catch and overtake me - and I was too exhausted to counter this dastardly act.
Here is an interesting fact (are you still awake?): there were team prizes but none for what I consider the greatest team of all: the one with the greatest cumalative age - surely we deserve something! :(
Colin Ardron
Elite athlete

Re: Lambs Longer Leg Results

Postby Brian J » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:34 am

Colin - your plea for a team prize is proof of one of Alan Bennett's comments on old age:
"In England, you see, age wipes the slate clean ... If you live to be 90 in England and can still eat a boiled egg they think you deserve the Nobel prize."
However, congratulations on our team's performance. It was a horrible day to be out, even on the lower hills around Lyme Park, as us Sunday runners discovered.
Brian J
Front runner

Re: Lambs Longer Leg Results

Postby Colin Ardron » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:10 am

Talking of boiled eggs ....just off to let the hens out - that's if I can find them in this mist.
Colin Ardron
Elite athlete

Return to Fell Running