Yes, there is room. And the Bongo is now full. Runners are:
    Graham Brown
    Tom Whittington
    Richard Applewhite
    Andy Skelhorn
    Mark Messenger
    Rachael Lawrance
    David Lawrance

It should be a great day out. Here is a photo from last year. Happy Days :)
Trigger.jpg
Trigger.jpg (93 KiB) Viewed 2813 times
Matt Lewis
mhlewis
Elite athlete

Re: Marsden to Edale

Postby mhlewis » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:20 pm

Hi Marsden to Edale Racers,

I propose to leave mine at 06.20 on Sunday morning, and drive via the M60.
Tom Whittington has pulled out, so that leaves a space -- let me know if you want to fill it.

There is limited parking on my street; probably 1 or 2 spaces. I'm guessing that Graham and Mark will walk. If everyone else brings their own car, then we may have to wait while you find a space around the houses, which is not the end of the world, but you might prefer to arrange to car share.

Please PM me for my address and mobile number if you don't have them, and also if you need someone's contact details for car sharing.

See you on Sunday :)

Matt
Matt Lewis
mhlewis
Elite athlete

Postby markfmessenger » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:26 pm

Hi Matt,
That sounds great, I'll walk over to yours for 6.15. Thanks again for driving, the beers will definitely be on us.
See you Sunday,
Mark
markfmessenger
Plodder

Postby Philip Barnes » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:27 pm

Hi Matt,
Andy says you have a new space available! If so, can yo let me have your details. I am on 07779 126450 or philip.Barnes@ sky.com. Thanks.
"The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict."
http://www.jolokia.uk.com
Philip Barnes
Elite athlete

Postby mhlewis » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:59 pm

Hi Philip,
I've just texted you with the details. See you Sunday.
Matt Lewis
mhlewis
Elite athlete

Postby mhlewis » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:29 pm

Andy Skelhorn has had to pull out. So there are currently 6 runners and space for 1 more.
Matt Lewis
mhlewis
Elite athlete

Postby Rachael » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:43 pm

See you at 6.15am - assuming it doesnt have to get cancelled - the snake pass watch says it it freezing and snow forecast from 2am...Dave and I will drive down (together!) and hope to find a parking space OK. Thank you so much for this driving voluntarily!!
Rachael
Mid pack runner

Postby mhlewis » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:41 pm

See you tomorrow.
Text me if the race is cancelled,
Matt Lewis
mhlewis
Elite athlete

Postby BARRY BLYTH » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:53 pm

Don't envy you guys doing this given the weather. The Lambs Longer Leg was fine as the rain was hardly noticeable and we started 1 1/2 hrs after you and probably finished 2 hrs earlier! Look forward to the "stories".

Barry
BARRY BLYTH
Elite athlete

Postby mhlewis » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:40 pm

Here’s my perspective, as road support. It’s a bit long!

Three days before the race the weather forecast was blue sky and crisp snow. However, this subsequently changed to all-day rain/sleet, which sadly turned out to be true.
The Bongo almost failed to get us to Marsden at all, because I had not secured the coolant filler cap, and we had to stop on the rainy dark hard shoulder of the M60 to pour all the water from our water bottles into the engine. Everyone was commendably relaxed/resigned (at least outwardly) to missing the race, losing all their water, and spending the day being rescued back to Macc . . . but the Bongo got to Mardsen in the end, after another water stop at a garage. We even had a few minutes in hand to register!

The start was typical rainy Mardsen at dawn. Philip Barnes lost his gloves in the press of people, but managed to borrow a pair of thick woolly SuperSoak™ gloves guaranteed to carry his own weight in water. The order at rainy Crowden crossing, about 6 miles in, was:

• Mark Messenger/David Lawrance (chatting)
• Graham Brown (‘How far ahead are they?’ [5 min])
• Rachael Lawrance (‘Graham is just ahead isn’t he’ [Yes, 2 min])
• Richard Applewhite (‘It’s not as bad as I thought’)
• Philip Barnes (‘Arms feel heavy’)

Snake Pass was a seriously different climate from balmy Crowden. Just-above-freezing mist and drizzle, chill-to-the-bone gusts of wind, visibility less than 100 m, piles of melting snow. And this is for the difficult Bleaklow navigation. Runners emerged from the mists in dribs and drabs – very different mood from Crowden. Two races were checkpointing at Snake Pass: Marsden-to-Edale (Trigger) going South and ‘The Spine’ going North. It was Day 1 of The Spine (5-day race of the entire Pennine Way including carrying your own bivvy kit, and presumably also bivvying in it). The Spine competitors each had satellite trackers, and hot drinks at the checkpoint. The Triggers had a pat on the back and a Haribo. At first a few Triggers mistakenly thought the hot drinks were for them, and the Spine marshalls were concerned for their stock of hot water, but after the main rush (same peak time for both races, so it was busy), they became more relaxed, and several bedraggled hypothermic Triggers benefited from a bit of respite in the Spine shelter. The Harriers order at the Snake was:

• Mark Messenger/David Lawrance/Graham Brown (all together; stopped to add layers, but too late for Mark who returned 2 minutes after setting off to resign the race and sit in the Bongo)
• Richard Applewhite (Didn’t say much and probably thinking, ‘Much, much worse than I thought’. However, he wasn’t hypothermic and he carried on)
• Philip Barnes (‘I fell into a bog up to here <indicates upper chest>, I’m freezing, and I’m out’. He resigned the race and went off to sit in the Bongo)
• . . . .
• <anxiously awaiting Rachael>
• . . . .
• Rachael Lawrance emerged from the mist, with Margaret Markley (Perfectly Happy, Smiling Not hypothermic, ‘Went a bit wrong, but we’re good to go’) So off they went

I drove back to Edale with Mark and Philip and couple of others who had dropped out and needed a lift (one Pennine and one Dark Peak). The order of Harriers at the finish was:

• Graham Brown (1st Harrier :D )
• David Lawrance
• Richard Applewhite
• . . . .
• No sign of Rachael
• . . . .
• The Curfew tolls the knell of parting day, The lowing herd wind slowly o'er the lea, The ploughman homeward plods his weary way
    . . . .
• At last, amid the gathering gloom: Rachael Lawrance emerged, with Margaret Markley (Perfectly Happy, Smiling, Not hypothermic, ‘Went a bit wrong, but we’re good’)

And then we drove home in the thick mist.
Last edited by mhlewis on Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Lewis
mhlewis
Elite athlete

Postby broon69 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:15 pm

Matt thanks for the article. This sums up the day perfectly. Fell running at it's best (worst!) depending in your perspective.

There's a great set of photo's here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/mossienet ... 9186395355

I've got a very bad left foot / ankle today. Hopefully no lasting damage done!

Thanks again for giving up your Sunday to support / ferry us around.

Cheers
Graham
broon69
Front runner

Postby mhlewis » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:06 pm

What superb photos!
I expect quite a few people will be framing those to put on the wall. A great advert for Marsden to Edale, and also for Fell Running in general. I can see the next issue of The Fellrunner . . .
And that was the easy bit before Crowden I believe?
Matt Lewis
mhlewis
Elite athlete

Postby BARRY BLYTH » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:30 pm

Great stuff. Don't remember the stream crossing being as tricky. Nice to see the girls smiling/laughing at their turn. Not surprised a few got caught out with borderline hypothermia.

Barry
BARRY BLYTH
Elite athlete

Postby Julian Brown » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:05 pm

Fine effort everyone, and a great write-up !

Winter fellrunning a bit more 'charecter-building' than a summer trot round Lyme Park !!

I remember the stream being exactly like that, we nearly lost a few folk ! We were last (only because everyone we overtook packed up), very wet, but with the right kit not too cold.

Well done all (and Matt) for getting back safely !!
Julian Brown
Elite athlete

Postby Colin Ardron » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:36 am

A fine account Matt - it brought back memories of Tanky's from years gone by - most of them good!

"One morn I miss'd him on the custom'd hill,
Along the heath and near his fav'rite tree;
Another came; nor yet beside the rill,
Nor up the lawn, nor at the wood was he;

Thanks to Mr Gray.
Colin Ardron
Elite athlete

PreviousNext

Return to Fell Running