Bullock Smithy, 3rd (+4th) September

Moderators: Philip Barnes, Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Bullock Smithy, 3rd (+4th) September

Postby Julian Brown » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:20 pm

Hi all, the annual 56 mile jaunt round the Peak District will be with us in a few weeks, should anyone in the club be keen enough to have a go.

http://www.bullocksmithy.com

Start at Hazel Grove, Saturday 12 noon, and keep eating, drinking and trundling round until you're back, at which point the proper eating and drinking can commence.

It would be great to have some company: In years gone by we've had 15 of more club members tootling round, however of recent years the average has dropped to, erm, about 1.

It's not as hard as it sounds though, requires no speed at all, and is in fact a (mostly) grand day out, as various Harriers can (hopefully) testify.

So if you are even just a little bit interested post on here, and some advice and even a reccy run of some of the route can be arranged.

cheers Julian
Julian Brown
Elite athlete

Re: Bullock Smithy, 3rd (+4th) September

Postby Nancy » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:43 pm

Maybe next year...
Nancy by name...
Nancy
Elite athlete

Postby david tucker » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:55 pm

And here you can search how those in the past have got on!

http://www.t42.org.uk/bullock/
david tucker
Elite athlete

Postby bollygill » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:50 pm

I walked half of this when I was a Venture Scout, it was a bit of a disaster in more ways than one and I would love to have a crack at running it even though I've never run even more than half that distance. However I have a diamond wedding party to organise that weekend.
I'd be interested in a reccy however if that happens.
Gillian
bollygill
Mid pack runner

Postby Dave Buxton » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:24 pm

I agree with Julian, it is a grand day out and a good route, particularly if you know it well from reccying all the best routes between the checkpoints. It is a "rite of passage" for those who like off-road running and I would commend it to those of you who feel like having an adventurous circuit of the peaks. As Julian rightly says a big fry up awaits post midnight!.

Sadly I will be in deepest Cornwall that weekend so will not be on the start line.

Dave
Shady Dave
Dave Buxton
Mid pack runner

Postby mudskimmer » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:41 pm

6 times I did it - & the toughest was the year I walked it, never again. If you're going to do it then run it!
mudskimmer
Elite athlete

Postby BARRY BLYTH » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:36 am

Did this once in 1996 (the 21st anniversary of the BS) on the "old" route. 56 Miles with hills! Thought it a bit nutty but was persuaded to have a go. Ran/jogged/walked most of the way with Dave T who used to be quite competitive. At the Earl Sterndale CP (I recall about 35mls in) the lady asked if we'd like a cup of tea. On affirming she said "I'll put the kettle on" to which Dave commented "Bugger that" and promptly grabbed a cup of juice; a sandwich and was off. Get back a bit quicker and you get treated to breakfast and have time to wash this down with a pint at the Rising Sun. Come back in the morning for a second breakfast "wonderbar". We picked up the team prize that year the 3rd member being Dave Parry.

Barry
BARRY BLYTH
Elite athlete

Postby Philip Barnes » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:47 pm

Hi Julian,
I should be doing this with smiley Clare (Griffen) as it's a club counter. Doubt I will be back in time for beer though :cry:
"The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict."
http://www.jolokia.uk.com
Philip Barnes
Elite athlete

Postby Julian Brown » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:29 am

Well done to julian and phil. Julian was the first person back in 10hr 27 min his 2nd win! Phil finished in 14hr 6min on his first running of this event. :D (from jo)
Julian Brown
Elite athlete

Postby BARRY BLYTH » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:31 am

Congrats Julian. Not the best of conditions. John M and I did the Longshaw Fell race just 6mls and ca 55mins for us (top 1/3). Wouldn't have wanted to be out for 10hrs.

Cheers Barry
BARRY BLYTH
Elite athlete

Postby Colin Ardron » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:59 pm

Well done Julian - that's a minute faster than my best time on the old route (there were no paving stones in those days and wolves prowled in Cave Dale.

On a shorter note I did the Shelf Moor race today - two other Harriers out, Olivia Walwyn and Richard Applethwaite (hope I've spelt that right). Conditions suited me fine, warm but not too warm, mist on the top and lots of wet bits - no pot for me today as I was beaten (soundly :( ) by the legend Jeff Norman - I keep threatening to beat him one day but he just laughs :D . Great cakes at the finish at pre WW1 prices plus an entry fee that would just about buy you a pint today - can never understand why people will pay thro the nose to do all those "commercial" events that have proliferated in the last few yrs when there are events like this sublime Shelf Moor so ably organised by Glossopdale Harriers - run by runners for runners with no profit motive in mind.
Colin Ardron
Elite athlete

Postby Philip Barnes » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:07 am

Very well done Jules! Though your assertion at the start that you were going to amble round in 14 hrs was typically modest! Do you know who won the team prize? (And though its only a minute, I actually did 14:05 :D ). Waaay too much tarmac though!
I much prefer the Gritstone Grind! Well done to all those finishers too!
"The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict."
http://www.jolokia.uk.com
Philip Barnes
Elite athlete

Return to Fell Running