Bob Graham Summer 2016

Moderators: Philip Barnes, Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Bob Graham Summer 2016

Postby CJH » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:17 pm

Hi all,

Dan Croft, Guénaëlle Piou, myself (Carl Hanaghan) and possibly one other intend to have a go at the Bob Graham this summer. Unfortunately Matt Lewis has pulled out due to an ongoing injury.

I realise that 3, possibly 4, people attempting to complete the challenge on the same day will require a lot of support over the weekend. So at this point I’d kindly request that anyone able and willing to help put the 15th and 16th July in your diaries.

Thank you

Carl
CJH
Plodder

Re: Bob Graham Summer 2016

Postby Clare GVS » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:04 am

Sounds good Carl! My 2008 round was as part of a group of three friends, well supported by the club.

We all made it round, so a group attempt is achievable (although we needed more navigators than expected on the last two legs as we split up).

If I'm about that weekend, I'll support.
Clare GVS
Front runner

Postby BARRY BLYTH » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:39 am

I plan to be in Bedford (relatives) that w/e but will support if that changes. I know you have supported various legs Carl and carried out a number of reccy's; that helps tremendously. You learn how to manage yourself, your kit and are aware of what's coming (although you put it out of your mind!). Not sure how much Dan and Guenaelle have done but the more reccying or supporting the better.
I'll try and get a mention in the next GO mag.

Cheers Barry
BARRY BLYTH
Elite athlete

Postby Steve Swallow » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:19 pm

Great to see some Contenders this year! Would love to help but will probably be on holiday that week unfortunately :(
If any of you would like to do the old county tops as a training run (36miles and 10,000ft) in May I'd be keen to do it again this year and will be looking for a partner, if you are interested just get in touch!
Cheers Steve
Steve Swallow
Plodder

Postby phil cheek » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:57 pm

Guys,
Sadly I`m no longer able to offer my help on the hill on the day....I can`t do the pace cos I`m aged (aah)
BUT if you want to recce the route from Dunmail towards the Pike at walking pace I`ll happily come out for a day,fellow Harriers will confirm that I know it to the inch having led it 20+ times.
AND I will try to be available on the day to do road support from my camper at Threkeld,Dunmail & Honister if that helps.
You should PM Chris Cripps NOW to see if he can organise support at Wasdale & lead to the finish.Chris lives there but is a Macc Harrier & is quite simply the best there is to lead those legs,a few years ago he showed Joss Naylor a new faster line en route to Pillar,much to Joss`s surprise!
For now just get the big days in & make sure you some 2 day weekends,An LDWA event on Saturday at good running pace for 5 or 6 hours followed by a tired Sunday at slower pace for another 5 or 6 hours will bank a lot of stamina for you.Over the years lots of us have used these weekends,preferably in the lakes, as a key part of our preparation.
Phil
phil cheek
Elite athlete

Postby CJH » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:07 pm

Great that you can support Clare. I agree about the navigators.

Barry - Dan's making trips up to the Lakes over the next couple of months to reccy. The Go! Mag is a good idea.

Steve - There is lak about the Old County Tops, I'm sure we can get a few teams together. Have the entries opened yet.

Hi Phil, there's a few of us planning to do the Old County Tops in may and then we've planned a 2-day trip in June to cover legs 2-3 and then 4-5. I'm hoping this should help. If you're about, the camper would be fantastic! I'll contact Chris, thats a great idea.

Thanks all
CJH
Plodder

Postby Northern Chris » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:58 pm

Cheers Phil. Yep seen and all being well I'm happy to help. Will check the calendar, just waiting on some dates of other trots out.
Northern Chris
Mid pack runner

Postby Tom Whittington » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:02 pm

Hi,

I'm going to throw my hat in the ring with the BG - hoorah! I've been planning it for a while and was going to announce it once I had established a solid foundation of hill fitness, but I agree with Carl that with so many attempts on one day it is better to let people know sooner rather than later.

Phil - good advice on the Leg 3 reccy. I was wondering whether this should be the day after the AW/TWA, (Sunday 17th April) as there are several Macc's up there already. Ideal as a back to back day and logistics could work with it as a there-and-back (returning on the OCT route in reverse).

Cheers,

Tom
(apologies to Carl for previously being annoyingly non-committal!)
Tom Whittington
Mid pack runner

Postby BARRY BLYTH » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:19 pm

About 4 weeks earlier is probably best w/e 11th June (near longest day).Can get July contenders support if they are free. Quite a few will be doing Wincle Trout on w/e 4th June. 11th or 18th is probably best for minimal clash re races.

Barry
BARRY BLYTH
Elite athlete

Postby Dan C » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:56 am

It's good to see the ball rolling! I have covered a lot of the route on various races, but will be reccing it several times. As mentioned, Andrea and myself are planning several visits through spring/early summer. We were in the area last weekend, but it was too windy for anything productive at any reasonable height.
Hope to catch up with everyone soon to get plans together more.
Dan C
Plodder

Postby Rachael » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:13 pm

Very tempting to think i would join you...but not realistic for me to do the right training and fit it all in this year. Would love to support on your planned weekend so will put on the calender - and also would be interested in reccie trips (day trip ones at least) so please let me know. I have supported leg 1,2, and 5 before but not done leg 3 or 4 so i could do with trying them out. Might be around post AW on 16/17th April but not sure logistics yet.

Anyone free/interested in a Black Coombe/lakes reccie/run on Sat or Sun 27 or 28th Feb?? I could do with getting some Lakeland fells in my legs prior to the 1st English Champs race this year....
Rachael
Mid pack runner

Postby BARRY BLYTH » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:45 am

I'm up for a reccy of Edale Skyline 27th or 28th Feb!
BARRY BLYTH
Elite athlete

Postby Julie Gardner » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:14 pm

Tom's already approached me regarding help on his BG. Unfortunately, I am out of the country that weekend. However, if by chance it is rescheduled and I am free, then I would help where necessary.

Julie
Julie Gardner
Mid pack runner

Postby Pete Coppack » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:59 pm

If the group of contenders become seperated by Wasdale (and assuming I can get myself fit enough) I would be willing to navigate a second group or person to Honister. If they do become seperated I would expect Chris to take the first stronger runners, happy to help anyone who may need support over this leg.

Pete.
Pete
Pete Coppack
Plodder

Postby Colin Ardron » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:28 pm

Can help with extra road support if required, ferrying people around etc but with one caveat - I will be working in miles and feet :lol:
Colin Ardron
Elite athlete

Next

Return to Fell Running