Lakes trip: 27 - 29 November

Moderators: Philip Barnes, Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Lakes trip: 27 - 29 November

Postby broon69 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:59 am

Hi myself, Matt (Lewis) and Richard (Ainely) are off to Keswick 27 - 29 November to do an early BG reccie for Matt's attempt next year.

We're travelling up on the Friday night and back on the Sunday. The plan loosely is to do BG leg 1 on the Saturday. And part of leg 2 on the Sunday.

We've booked a 4 person room in the YHA and we have space for 1 more.

If you're interested either post back on the forum or email me at broon_69@yahoo.co.uk.

Obviously anyone is welcome to join us on the reccies if they want to make they're own arrangements.

Cheers
Graham
broon69
Front runner

Re: Lakes trip: 27 - 29 November

Postby Andy Skelhorn » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:26 pm

Sounds good. Although I may bring Lilly, so stay somewhere nearby that allows dogs.
Andy Skelhorn
Elite athlete

Postby YorkshirePudding » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:53 pm

Its Richard here ....I am looking forward to it, as it will introduce me to the joy of the BGR route and the Lakes in Autumn/ Winter

I am planning to leave my work (at Manchester Airport) at around 4pm-430pm on the Friday so if anyone wants a lift share I can take others up in my Toyota estate car, it will save coming all the back to Macclesfield to start on a Friday night journey on the M6.

It is planned we will arrive in time for evening meal at the Hostel on Friday and maybe a few swift pints in preparation for a run next day.

I heard some people wanted to know "How fast will we go?" well after a few pints of Jennings the night before and my current form I am planning on taking my head torch in case I am left on the hills in dark...I have no plans to be be left behind but after last night I am not running as fast as the others.

I am sure Matt and Graeme will be happily in the pub by then with a Cumberland sausage...but enough talk about their night time antics!
aka Richard Ainley
YorkshirePudding
Plodder

Postby YorkshirePudding » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:01 pm

More detail below...

So after long (and nearly exhaustive) discussion things are beginning to be clearer now on the arrangements for our weekend away next week end ...

Travel up on Friday Night
I am leaving on Friday afternoon at around 430pm from my work office at Manchester Airport (Graeme and John M all ready confirmed passengers) space for 2 more if needed. We will be eating at the Keswick YHA on Friday, so we can meet others who have made thier way up there if you wish for a meal/ drink
Matt L is leaving Macclesfield at around 630pm and has kindly offered a lift to anyone who wants.

Saturday - Run BGR Leg 2 - (on BGR Pace this should take 4 to 4 1/2 hours)
We have a choice either drive to Threlkeld and park up or run along the old/disused Railway line (approx 45min run/walk), its our choice.
The estimated time of departure is 930am (no later)

Remember to bring your own lunch as we will be running on mountain tops and there is not many Michelin starred restaurants on Helvellyn. In addition bring full mountain gear including Jackets, Trousers, hats, maps, whistle, compass etc ..just in case its bad weather and awful visibility, also cash for the bus/taxi/pub.

We will run along the tops up until Dollywagon Pike than down to Grisedale Tarn then we have a choice, either
1. continue on to Seat Sandel and Fairfield then on to Grasmere or
2. cross over the road and on to Grasmere via Steel Fell
for tea/beer until we either get the bus back Route 555 to Keswick (leaving Grasmere at 1443, 1543, 1635 1735) or share a taxi or get a lift

A comment now on running Etiquette (so we do not lose anyone!)- Lets wait at the Tops for everyone to arrive. If you are really keen try some run backs or just 100 burpees (I saw them on an SAS documentary last week)

Saturday Night
As we will want to share our stories I have rung up a few suitable pubs in Keswick and as its a popular weekend they are busy, but I have managed to find a suitable place. The Dog & Gun in Keswick town centre, http://www.thedogandgunkeswick.com CA12 5BT, its near Moot Hall. I have reserved the big table for 10 people for 7.30pm in my name, so lets have a good time. Sorry Greg The Pheasant was full!

Sunday
We have a choice either an easy run around Derwent Water or more challenging run and around Skiddaw (via Sale How and Little Man)

Then meet up all together for a tea and cakes at around 3pm-4pm then head off home.

Invitation to all
All are welcome to join us for the weekend there is no qualification or selection criteria...Wednesday Night Runners, Sunday Morning Runners, speed merchants but if we have more than 10 for the Saturday night meal please tell me so I can amend the booking.

Cheers Richard
aka Richard Ainley
YorkshirePudding
Plodder

Postby YorkshirePudding » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:43 pm

Quotes on Taxi's - Taxi Prices Grasmere to Keswick leaving at 4pm on Saturday - £26 for 8 people Keswick cab Company (http://keswicktaxi.co.uk/contact-us-to-book-a-taxi.php) and £30 for 8 Keswick cabs (07428091915)
aka Richard Ainley
YorkshirePudding
Plodder

Postby mhlewis » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:59 am

I'll be driving up to Keswick on Friday night, leaving Macc at about 18.30.
If anyone wants a lift, let me know.
Matt Lewis
mhlewis
Elite athlete

Postby Hazel » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:26 pm

Sorry, but I just have to say it. £30.00 for 8 Keswick cabs. Is that one each?
Hazel
Elite athlete

Postby fellsman » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:00 pm

I shall be leaving Poynton at 7.00am on Saturday morning. Hopefully to arrive just after 9.00pm or, if running late, will go straight to Threlkeld. Anybody not wanting or not able to drive up on Friday is welcome to a lift.
fellsman
Mid pack runner

Postby mhlewis » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:29 pm

Hi Trev,

Plan B, if the 30 gusting 60 mph blizzard conditions are true to forecast [http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/gctye42yh#?fcTime=1448668800], is to meet at Moot Hall at 09.30 for a low-level run. We'll text you on Saturday morning.
Matt Lewis
mhlewis
Elite athlete

Return to Fell Running