Sunday Run 15th November 2015

Moderators: Philip Barnes, Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Sunday Run 15th November 2015

Postby david tucker » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:14 pm

9.30 Macclesfield Forest, Standing Stone car park.

A ~2 hour off-road run in the post Abigail storm sunshine (well maybe) around the tracks and Dales. Tea and cakes in the cafe, Bullock's Lane afterwards

Directions:-
Continue on the road round the side of the reservoir by the Leather's Smithy Pub. Ignore the right turn and continue to the top of the hill (1.5 miles). Turn left at the top and the car park is immediately on your left.

The view to Shutingsloe

Tucker will be recovering from Dunnerdale, Alan may be crocked after reckoning he did his hamstring in on Thursday so the leader will be selected from whoever arrives ready & willing.

Regular visitors to Macclesfield Forest will be well aware of the curiously named ‘Standingstone’ car park. This must have been so named for a reason, but the question is where did this so called standing stone stand and how old was it? Various sources record a number of ‘stones’ in the area of what is today Macclesfield Forest, but unfortunately the majority have now disappeared. There is one remaining standing stone, which is undoubtedly used as a rubbing post today, and can be seen in a field at Higher Ridgegate to the left of the road close to the Leathers Smithy pub. One of the best documented however, is that reported by Dr J.D.Sainter, Watkin and Earwaker once located in the same field as a tumulus to the north-west of Toot Hill. According to the County Sites and Monuments Record a ‘prostrate unworked stone post probably a rubbing post’ was reported by the Ordnance Survey in 1964, but sadly this could not be located on a subsequent visit in 1972. The Reverend Marriott also described and illustrated two ‘rude upright stones’ on the summit of Shutlingsloe in 1810.
david tucker
Elite athlete

Re: Sunday Run 15th November 2015

Postby Lynda » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:15 pm

Thanks, everyone for today's run and looking after us again :)
Lynda
Lynda
Plodder

Re: Sunday Run 15th November 2015

Postby Donworkin » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:30 pm

Who would have thought it ? 10 gutsy women turned out on this little caper from Standing Stone cp, to experience the delights of this wonderful area above Mac Forrest and Oaken Clough. 6 males also turned up to take part in the fun, including a little wimp, who set off walking a few minutes earlier than main party did, just to steal a March, which he did rather well, I though. But it wasn't long before the group thundered by, heading to top Shutter's and admire the canny views. I was expecting the throng to pass me again soon, as I had fore gone the hill climb to reap the comfort of Piggford moor, which they intended to visit next , but they never arrived. It appears the group had splintered up there and runners were all over the place. A regroup was in order but some explored further a field on ' tother side hill', looking someone, towards Wildboarclough ? A route which was never intended. A lonesome runner had fled the nest as it were and made her way via the Crag Inn and round to Oaken Clough, thinking that would probably be the way they'd take. As it turned out this runner came across me not too far from The Hanging Gate HP, and was surprised to find I hadn't see any of the party. In the meantime the main body of runners were still back there somewhere -wondering what had happened to Jude. Oh dear, such is life in the fast lane. But all's well that ends well, or so they say. And by the end of the morning's run , everyone was accounted for. :D

And later, heaps of tea and goodies were gobbled frenetically in the warmth of the Garden Center.

It's rather pleasing these days to find so many women in the club are willing to turn out and punish themselves on the hills for the sake of enjoyment. A rare breed indeed.

Thanks to Greg for leading.
Donworkin
Elite athlete

Return to Fell Running