Sunday Run 16th August 2015

Moderators: Philip Barnes, Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Sunday Run 16th August 2015

Postby david tucker » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:48 am

9.30 Flash Bar Cafe & Stores.

A53, Quarnford, Buxton, Derbyshire. SK17 0TF.
http://www.flashbarstores.co.uk/

Hazel is leading us on an exciting off-road route for 2 hours of exploration in this scenic area of the Peak District.

Flash Bar Stores & Cafe

Meet at Tucker's at 9.00 for car share/lifts. Do car share if possible so there's room for Lindsey's customers to park outside the cafe/store.

Flash Bar Stores takes its name from the tollhouse built here in 1771 which is still in existence today. A tollgate, or toll bar, was in operation here on the site of the road that ran from Macclesfield to Longnor via Three Shires head, which dissects the current A53.
There is a vast history in this area documented in two local books by Margaret Parker; “Flash Back” available in Flash Bar Stores.

david tucker
Elite athlete

Re: Sunday Run 16th August 2015

Postby Hazel » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:22 pm

Please would you ALL park at the far end of the pub car park next to Flash Stores. I have spoken to the landlady and we have permission to do so. Lindsey said she would be very grateful if we could keep the parking in front of Flash Stores clear.

I have just been checking out a cunning route for tomorrow. If you have waterproof socks wear them, don't forget its Staffordshire Moorlands!!!! The forecast is for dry weather :)
Hazel
Elite athlete

Postby Nancy » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:56 pm

Dave,
Could you give Allen a lift? I can drive him down to your house or he could meet you at Bull Hill. Let me know please on 01625 424564. Thank you!
Nancy
Nancy by name...
Nancy
Elite athlete

Postby Donworkin » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:37 pm

Fabulous run this morning in the hills around the famous area of Flash Bar, led by the lovely infatigable Hazel, who took the troops in fine windless weather over some un-visited before tricky terrain above Gradbach. A good turnout of 16 souls, one very young and the rest varied from between mature, old and very old. But hey, age wasn’t a problem- far from it. The troops jelled quite well out there to almost coagulation and loosened only when a few runners felt need to separate and do there own thing, meeting later, back at the Café. The rest were left to experience Hazel’s, bog hopping technique through some pretty interesting wetland. Fortunately, there wasn’t much of the stuff but surely enough there to help dampen Mandy’s ankle, which she had turned a little while before in some dodgy ground. At the time of the incident she let off an expletive, which stunned the rest of us. We never though the lady could utter such a word. But there you go. One never really knows what thy friends are capable of saying. Mind you, if that had happened to be me, god only knows how much I would have squealed. We lost Mandy and Martin a little latter on, understandably on a damage- limitation exercise back to Flash. Hazel, then pressed the decreasing troops on up through pleasant fields and over rickety stiles to tarmac lane, where another member of the troop thought it necessary to peel-off the route and make his own way back to base while the remainder carried on without much thought.
Then and not too far from base, young Allen Bunyan developed a nosebleed. Within a flash the mothering instincts of the ladies present kicked in and the poor lad's face was smothered in tissue and after a little while he was well recovered and soon running again, arriving back looking just fine. The lad was fortunate though, if he’d been out with just the boys, all manner of remedies would have been explored, a stick up the nose comes to mind or, bend down, where he might of bled to death. All I can say about the experience is, we should all be grateful we have such a wonderful selection of ladies in the club.....did I say that right then? :D
Donworkin
Elite athlete

Return to Fell Running