Night Street League Orienteering

Moderators: Philip Barnes, Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Night Street League Orienteering

Postby Clare GVS » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:59 pm

Hi all,

Just a quick plug for this as the first event is next week and last orders for maps is this Thursday 23rd (although it's in Didsbury which isn't exactly handy).

However Thursday 13th Nov sees us visit the lovely Park Tavern in Macc. Good beer, gourmet burgers and also the opportunity to explore little known back streets of SW Macc by torchlight.

Full info here (what it involves, what you need to bring, who to email to order a map etc).

http://www.mdoc.org.uk/events/night-str ... 014-15.htm

Don't worry, last orders for the Macc maps isn't for weeks (not least because I haven't quite finished it yet).

Cheers,
Clare
Clare GVS
Front runner

Re: Night Street League Orienteering

Postby MikeG » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:40 pm

Folks,

The Macclesfield event of MDOC's Night Street Orienteering is next Thursday (13th Nov).
The area being used is to the West of London Road and to the South of Chester road, so the only Main roads crossing the area are Park Lane and Congleton Road.
The Event is based at the Park Tavern on Park Lane, starts between 6:30 and 7:30 (ideally arrive 30mins beforehand to register etc.) and costs £3 per map.
If you want a map please contact Grahame Crawshaw [grahamecrawshaw AT gmail DOT com] of MDOC by Saturday 8th (i.e. tomorrow).
If you post a reply here by Saturday evening, I will forward to Grahame.
Even though I say so myself, the map is a masterpiece!

I’d also like to emphasise a couple of points about the Parking (to avoid annoying any of the local residents) and the food.
Obviously, I am expecting folks like Digby to walk / jog to the event (especially as Digby passes one of the control sites on the way).

Parking
Park Tavern is situated on a busy Main Road (Park Lane) near the junction with Brown Street, with no dedicated Car Park. On street parking is essentially non-existent as the surrounding roads are all residential. There are two suggested Parking locations.
South Park Car Park
South Park car park is at the end of Park Grove Road (postcode for satnav is SK11 8AS), which can house about 35 cars, and is about 2 to 3mins walk from the Park Tavern. We're hoping to have a marshal on hand to cram in as many cars in as possible. The advantage of Parking here is that it is (slightly) closer to the pub and to the Start / Finish (which is between the Pub and this Car Park). The strong disadvantages to Parking here are that the Car Park has no lighting and critically that when this Car Park is full there is NO nearby on street parking.
B & Q Car Park
B & Q Car Park is accessed from Statham Street (postcode for satnav is SK11 6XN), and is about 3 to 4mins walk from the Park Tavern. We haven't asked permission but they don't have barriers on the gate and it's large and fairly well lit.
The advantage to parking here are that it is well lit and if nervous about parking in the B & Q Car Park, there is plenty of street parking on both Union Street and Crossall Street, and you are guaranteed to be able to find somewhere to park – no matter how late you arrive. Also, if travelling from North of Macclesfield, you would have walked to the pub in less time than the drive to the South Park Car Park.
Food:
The Park Tavern has burger nights every Thursday, and Gill goes once a month for her Book Club. These burger nights are popular, and they regularly run out of burgers, so make sure you pre-order, if you want a burger.

More details on MDOC website.
best wishes, Mike G
MikeG
Mid pack runner

Postby MikeG » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:54 pm

Julian has already put the basic info on the website here:
http://www.macclesfield-harriers.co.uk/ ... eet-league

Thanks
best wishes, Mike G
MikeG
Mid pack runner

Postby Brian J » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:33 pm

Trev will be delighted to know that the Wilmslow event on 19 Feb is likely to be based at the Old Dancer pub in Grove Street.
Brian J
Front runner

Postby broon69 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:48 pm

Hi is it too late to get involved in this on Thursday. It was mentioned at the Roaches race on Sunday. I can't make the usual fell session on Wednesday due to work commitments, so I was hoping to get out and do this.
broon69
Front runner

Postby Julian Brown » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:12 pm

Clare could confirm, but in the past there have always been a few spare maps available.

Allegedly, for some folk the map is superflous anyway.
Julian Brown
Elite athlete

Postby Clare GVS » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:23 am

Hi yes, come along, I think we ordered about 20 spare maps so we should be ok. You might struggle to order food as the pub say they're pretty much booked out with hungry orienteers now, but you might get lucky. There'll definitely be enough beer though :)
Clare GVS
Front runner

Postby broon69 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:55 am

Clare that#s great. See you tomorrow night. Cheers Graham
broon69
Front runner

Postby jo m » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:56 pm

Many thanks Clare ! and all who helped out, another chance to demonstrate how little we know of the back streets of Macc !
An hour or so round the lanes followed by a couple of pints, what more could you want ?
jo m
Plodder

Postby Clare GVS » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:13 pm

Thanks Jo! Glad you all had fun.
Clare (and Mike)
Clare GVS
Front runner

Return to Fell Running