Sunday run 26th October 2014

Moderators: Philip Barnes, Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Sunday run 26th October 2014

Postby david tucker » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:40 pm

9.30 Flash Bar Stores, Flash Bar, A53, Quarnford, Buxton, SK17 0TF.

A ~2 hour run, 7 miles, taking in Axe Edge and 3 Shire Heads. Route and leadership by Hazel and as she says - nothing too onerous. Could be a bit wafty so bring a windproof top.

The Flash Bar Stores & cafe, hosted by Lindsay Jackson.

Park neatly in the Stores lay-by. Car share if poss: Group up at Tucker's, Hurdsfield for a 9am departure. Our thanks to Hazel for organizing the run. After all the exertions of last weekend at the relays and Screes race, this trip will calm your inner self.

Flash Bar Stores takes its name from the tollhouse built here in 1771 which is still in existence today. A tollgate, or toll bar, was in operation here on the site of the road that ran from Macclesfield to Longnor via Three Shires head, which dissects the current A53.

david tucker
Elite athlete

Re: Sunday run 26th October 2014

Postby david tucker » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:49 am

NB - remember the clocks go BACK tonight otherwise you may find yourself an hour early!

david tucker
Elite athlete

Postby Donworkin » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:40 pm

Good run today, Hazel, did us proud. Was wafty too as, Tucker predicted. But, Hazel, being canny lass, took the high ground as we left with the wind on our backs. Later, on the turn, we descended to the bridge at, Three Shires, where the wind was none existent and Hazel took the opportunity and gave us an interesting history lesson on the structure of the bridge and its transformation from a Pack Horse affair to a carriage bearing one. This, of course, happened in days gone by when, Flash Money in those parts was more popular than the Crown’s currency. All thanks, no doubt to this meeting point of the Three Shires, where a quick hop over the border would be a clean getaway for the currency boys.
At least I think it goes something like that. It must have been dire to exist up there in winter. It’s hard to imagine how people now would cope in conditions like they had then. When I got home this day and opened the door the heat of the place greeted me. Most likely in those times some people wouldn't have had a door to open never mind feel the heat.

Thanks for the outing, Hazel. :D
Donworkin
Elite athlete

Postby BrianMac » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:48 pm

Most enjoyable run today Hazel, thanks for leading. The route we followed is here:-
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/44612493/RK_kml%20_2014-10-26_0927.kml (opens in Google Earth)
BrianMac
Honorary Paparazzi

Postby Donworkin » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:51 pm

Thanks for showing route taken, Brian, but, surely we didn't make over 3000ft of climbing ? Perhaps the venue's 1500+ feet above sea level is a factor.... or am I missing something? :D
Donworkin
Elite athlete

Postby Hazel » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:35 pm

I think something has gone a bit haywire Brian!! We did 7.5 miles and ascended a total of 1,230' :)
Hazel
Elite athlete

Postby jimkelly » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:43 pm

Alan, I think you may have missed out on what Hazel was telling us at Panniers Bridge. The spot is properly called 3 Shire HeadS, i.e the letter S being on the last word. Interestingly, the old 1 inch Peak District map has it so named whereas the 2.5 inches to the mile newer map has it as ShireS. Not a great deal of difference in what is being described perhaps but good to remember the old names if we can
jim kelly
jimkelly
Plodder

Postby Simon » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:07 pm

REALLY wish I could have been there, but working, and besides, taking a break from running to try and get my back and knee to sort themselves out :roll: so cycling more instead.

Looks like great route Hazel... :D...not been upto Three Shires for ages.
Simon
Elite athlete

Return to Fell Running