Harwood 7 Memorial Run - Sun 12th Oct

Moderators: Philip Barnes, Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Harwood 7 Memorial Run - Sun 12th Oct

Postby Mr T » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:11 pm

For those not on my Facebook event list and those who I've not managed to contact yet... The Date: Sunday 12th October Venue: Standing Stone Car Park, Macclesfield Forest. Start time: 9am Some of you may remember running the 7 Cheshire Tops route with Craig a few years back. If I'm right, i think it may have been a route first devised by Alan Ireland but it was Craig who instigated it. (Forgive me Alan if my facts are not 100% correct!) I've run the route quite a few times since, once with just Craig and myself. I thought it might be a nice idea if a few of us could gather and have a run around it again in his memory. The full route is about 21 miles visiting Shutlingsloe, Tegg’s Nose, Kerridge Hill, White Nancy, Nab Head, Sponds Hill and Shining Tor. Folks are welcome to run, jog, walk or cycle all or part of the route. Everyone welcome. If you could let me know if you're interested, just so I can estimate possible numbers. A few have already confirmed they'll be there.
Attachments
jontatham_Harwood7.jpg
jontatham_Harwood7.jpg (89.08 KiB) Viewed 1912 times
Old enough to know better, daft enough to still give it a go...
Mr T
Mid pack runner

Re: Harwood 7 Memorial Run - Sun 12th Oct

Postby Dave Buxton » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:37 pm

Jon

Sounds like a plan. Should be up for this.

Cheers

Dave
Shady Dave
Dave Buxton
Mid pack runner

Postby Julian Brown » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:43 pm

Many thanks for organising Jon,

Now up on the main website.

I would imagine (Jon ?) everyone is welcome - and someone could advertise on the FRA forum, or Email to non-Macc H if appropriate ?
Julian Brown
Elite athlete

Postby Mr T » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:06 pm

Cheers Dave and Julian. Yes everyone is of course most welcome, especially if they knew or had some connection with Craig, it will be nice to have a good throng, but I'm not sure about advertising it on the FRA Forum to be honest. I don't want it to appear as any kind of race or official event. Is that ok? Perhaps a few emails to people who i may not know or be able to reach personally would work better. For those of you who have run this route before, please note there is no permission granted to run from the Nab to Pott Shrigley other than the official out and back path as signposted. Standing Stone car park is quite small so please car share as much as possible and park considerately. Cheers.
Mr T
Mid pack runner

Postby phil cheek » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:20 pm

Jon,
A brilliant idea.
Not sure if I can come & anyway it would be a VERY long day at my pace.
Any ideas how to cycle it cos then maybe (the very lovely) Janet could come?
Phil
phil cheek
Elite athlete

Postby Mr T » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:21 pm

Phil I'm not sure about cycling it, may be a bit problematic in places I guess, even for MTB's, I just wanted to include everyone, thinking of the few that don't/can't run these days. Perhaps if a few cyclists wanted to meet at Standing Stone with us and then tootle off on their own route around the roads that link up the 7 tops route that would be more as to what I was suggesting.
Mr T
Mid pack runner

Postby david tucker » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:41 pm

Phil - don't worry, we can just set off and as the route heads towards Bollington/Macc, we can cafe stop when we feel like it and get in a previously planted car! I'll post it as the Sunday run unless Jon T wants to? Would be interesting if somebody wanted to set a time for the route. Make a bit of a race/time trial of it or just a steady run or just a potter around. I'm sure Jon can accommodate all if several folks know the route.

We often use the route off the Nab although the footpath stops just below the summit on the Bolly side, so this doesn't pose a threat to moving onto Sponds.
david tucker
Elite athlete

Postby Hazel » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:13 am

I'll be there, but steady run please as would like to do the whole route :)
Hazel
Elite athlete

Postby Mr T » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:25 pm

People are absolutely free to do what they want especially if they've done the route before but the spirit of the run was to go steady in one or two groups. If the pace is too pedestrian for some then the option of doubling back is always on. Nobody is to be left behind or running on their own. If anyone has their racing legs on when we get to Shining Tor then a sprint back to Standing Stone could be fun!
Mr T
Mid pack runner

Postby phil cheek » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:21 pm

I`m definitely away so can`t make it
Phil
phil cheek
Elite athlete

Postby Donworkin » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:36 pm

What a good idea, Mr T. I’ll be there to give-it-a-go but, I fear I won’t be able to keep-up with you guys over that sort of distance. It’s no problem though. It’ll just give me plenty of time to reflect on recent events and other things that may come to mind. Where better place for such thoughts, other than the locality in question? There, on clear sunny days, views can be staggeringly beautiful and uplifting. And even on those dull uninspiring days the mood never dampens or disappoints. To be up there is an experience not to be forgotten.
Donworkin
Elite athlete

Postby Colin Ardron » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:00 pm

I hope very much to be there - it's a smashing route and what better way of remembering and celebrating our Ben. Dic.
Colin Ardron
Elite athlete

Postby wheeloruns » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:20 pm

For those racing xc the day before but who would like to join this run please can the route be set out so choices can be made about possible drop out points or a map like for the club fell handicap. Many thanks
wheeloruns
Plodder

Postby Simon » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:35 am

Down to work that day and currently having difficulty swapping off it.
Simon
Elite athlete

Postby Mr T » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:28 pm

Donworkin (Alan?) your sentiments are exactly what this run is all about. Nicely and poetically put, Craig would agree I'm sure.

Simon, it's a shame you can't make it, another time maybe.

Wheeloruns - I'll do my very best to produce a few maps but this route is mostly done from memory, in true Macc Harriers fellrunners fashion. I can verbally describe the route in detail but to be on the safe side, please bring a map with you just in case. The route is fairly straight forward so pick one of the 7 tops to drop out from, depending on how far you want to run and work your way back from there. cheers.
Mr T
Mid pack runner

Next

Return to Fell Running