Naylor Dinner

Moderators: Philip Barnes, Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Naylor Dinner

Postby david tucker » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:45 pm

Some of us are off to the Naylor dinner on the 18th October.
Guests are welcome so if you fancy a small scale exclusive BG type evening out with the more distinguished members of the fell running community let me know!
david tucker
Elite athlete

Re: Naylor Dinner

Postby Digby » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:17 pm

Dave,
A bit of carb loading before the relays sounds like a good wheeze. Were you going to have an outing in the Lakes on Saturday to build up an appetite? Count me in if that's possible (although not eligible from an age perspective quite yet)?
Cheers, Digby
Digby
Elite athlete

Postby Mandy » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:21 am

I am not going to be able to make it to the Naylor Dinner this year as I am rowing in the US that weekend. However Martin is looking to go, so maybe he could accompany you Dave as your guest!

Mandy
Mandy
Front runner

Postby Stephen Watts » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:36 am

I'm planning on going, but not replied to the invite yet. I think Melanie is going too. Hopefully Digby will be able to make it too? (let me know and I'll book you in on my invite)? So hopefully there will be a small gaggle of us there. Is gaggle the correct collective noun for persons accompanying Dave Tucker?
Stephen Watts
Mid pack runner

Postby david tucker » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:16 pm

Digby & Martin then.
The cunning plan is to arrive on Saturday (18th Oct) in time to do the Screes race from Nether Wasdale. We cleaned up last year, getting 1st, 2nd & 3rd in the 60's class. So it would be good to have some younger participants this time. Its AS so well knackering but doesn't go on too long to interfere with the preparations for the dinner & no dancing. Everyone is too old for that.
If you're durable you camp next door to the pub rather than staying in it and this gives everyone the opportunity to be regaled by Brian about his historic Vango tent which is actually younger than my Millet one!
david tucker
Elite athlete

Postby Brian J » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:24 pm

In times gone by Tucker's guest list might not have been so gender neutral. However, if the guests were female, then the answer to Steve's question is the Tuckerettes. The old Vango and I are very much looking forward to the weekend already.

P.S. Dave - I hope you haven't gone all PC and guardianista whilst I have been away.
Brian J
Front runner

Postby geofpet1 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:23 am

I'll see you up there- I'll get there around the start so save me a place if poss!!
geofpet1
Elite athlete

Postby Brian J » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:23 am

Another very enjoyable Naylor weekend. We’ve now got it down to a fine art. Arrive in time to put the tents up before going to Nether Wasdale for the Screes Race. Do the race, back to the pub for hot pot and then back for tea and cake in the campsite supplied by our support vehicle (Phil’s campervan), shower, change, off to the dinner in the Santon Bridge Hotel, fine meal and ale and then we are ready for the presentation of tankards to this year’s successful contenders. Steve Watts and Geoff Pett received their tankards. Geoff was a year late because he could not be there last year, and this year Mandy sent her apologies direct to the hierarchy fearful that one of the Tuckerettes might be in an over-helpful mood and deny her the pleasure of receiving it from the hands of Joss next year. She got the most applause of the night when Joss announced that she could not attend because she was competing in the British rowing team in the US.
The Race? Well the victorious M60 team of last year could not live up to the pre-race expectations. Dave W retired with a pulled calf before we got to the open fell (yes, he was the one who had done a warm-up). Digby and Steve were way out ahead of the other Macc runners. Julie G was second woman home, and I don’t know what they put in the old dear’s flew jab that I had in the morning but I managed to have a good old tussle with Martin who got past me near the end on the flat. He was in turn overtaken by Chris Cripps just before the end. As for Tucker, I think that the excitement of riding shotgun when collecting Phil’s new racing car the day before proved too much for him. I hope the FRA Relays were as much fun.
Brian J
Front runner

Return to Fell Running