Race walking

Moderators: Philip Barnes, Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Race walking

Postby andreajsteel » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:56 pm

Anyone know of anyone who coaches race walking in Cheshire?

Andrea
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
andreajsteel
Mid pack runner

Re: Race walking

Postby Donworkin » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:49 pm

Andrea,
Sorry I can't help regards recommending someone who could further your interest in speed walking. But don't dispair- seek and you will find. I've always had an interest in walking quickly. I've found it's less harmful on the joints than running. Years ago I used to walk the Pennine Way, I liked it so much I did it several times, then even went down into Surrey, over a decade to compete in a 100k walk they put on each year, round April time. It was fast and furious and mostly off road but I loved it, mainly because It didn't hurt that much so I was always willing to push-on. These days, after many years of just running I'm enjoying quick walking again, using half my running time and it's suiting my life style. On certain days through the week I leave the front gate with a spring in my step, off up the road. My neighbours must think I've a screw loose on seeing this old man with arms swinging, passing their front windows. In past times I'd have flashed two fingers there but these days, I suppose, one would be sufficient. A thing I have learned about fast walking is , one must always focus otherwise the pace will drop. If the mind wonders onto trivia you may as well give up - which wouldn't do. So go for it, Andrea. You've nothing to lose and possibly much to gain. :D
Donworkin
Elite athlete

Postby MikeG » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:38 am

There is a 20km race round Sutton every year, I found the results on this website: http://www.northernracewalking.com/
Hopefully there should be someone whom you can contact.
Also found this article: http://www.macclesfield-express.co.uk/n ... ks-7186450
It implies there once was a Sutton Walking Club - but not sure that still exists!
best wishes, Mike G
MikeG
Mid pack runner

Postby burb » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:42 am

It's been in Macclesfield a while it appears, well since 1951.

Saw this video a while ago it's brilliant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qP86VxJZzMY
Rob Hasler
burb
Mid pack runner

Postby andreajsteel » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:34 am

Thanks for the responses - yes, it's my sore knees after doing lots of running training this years that makes me think it's about time I looked for another sport/challenge.
Interestingly it seems that there are very few coaches around given that it is all about technique - found someone in Ellesmere Port who will give me an hour or so to go through the basics. Otherwise it seems that you just turn up for the events after watching Youtube training videos!

Thanks again
Andrea
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
andreajsteel
Mid pack runner

Return to Fell Running