Bob Graham Round 20th June

Moderators: Philip Barnes, Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Re: Bob Graham Round 20th June

Postby Dave Parry » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:34 pm

Looks like he went to Wasdale via Sty Head and packed in. He was wearing a tracker and his route can be seen on this link:

Simon http://maps.opentracking.co.uk/bg2014.cfm?n=23

Dave
Dave Parry
Plodder

Postby mudskimmer » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:42 pm

Sadly it wasn't to be on this occasion.
mudskimmer
Elite athlete

Postby Clare GVS » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:38 pm

Hi from sunny Austria! Was wondering how Simon had got on, very sorry to hear it didn't work out this time. It's a tough old challenge. Would be up for supporting when it's time for the rematch Simon :-)
Clare GVS
Front runner

Postby mhlewis » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:36 pm

Simon has posted on the FRA forum, in 'BG tracking 21June'.
Sorry it didn't work out Simon. Hopefully I'll be able to support on the next attempt.
Matt Lewis
mhlewis
Elite athlete

Postby Simon » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:32 am

Well, where do I begin?

Great Leg 1... Cheers Larry and Stu.

Feed at Threlkeld and off up Clough Head.... I hate Clough Head....always have.

Started getting listless on this climb....don't know why. Trotted along and was fed Mint Cake by Mark Townsend (who really knows his stuff); chatted to Dark Peak's Ian Winterburn along the way. The climb up Fairfield was tricky but not as bad as the descent, where my back and knee started giving me grief...lost a lot of time on there. I now hate Fairfield more than Clough Head.

Dropped down to Brian and Co at Dunmail and had some soup...Brian, thanks very much for your efforts...

Persuaded to carry on and climbed Steel Fell. Felt better, but by Harrison Stickle, listless again and back and knee giving me bother. Realised I was 90 minutes down; could barely muster a run across Martcrag Moor, so took a right turn towards Esk Hause and an early bath.

Lovely walk down via Styhead Pass....don't the Scafells look amazing from there? Gerry and Dale kept my spirits up.

Got to Wasdale to find Martin, Geoff and Peter McNulty waiting. Martin and Geoff trotted off on Leg 4 anyway and Peter went with Dale and Gerry upto Honister via Moses Trod.

I am gutted not to get round, but it was a great experience and the support of friends means a lot.

The training days that have gone into this have been memorable and worthwhile trips in themselves.

Getting out of the car at home was challenging and I won't look at the stairs in the same way again.

Many, many thanks to all.
Simon
Elite athlete

Postby Colin Ardron » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:34 pm

Hi Simon,

you got further than I did and do you know what - life goes on and I still enjoy the fells and hills :D

best

Colin
Colin Ardron
Elite athlete

Postby Nancy » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:07 pm

Simon we were sorry to hear the news on Saturday; I'd been thinking about you all day imagining you up in that lovely breeze on the tops while I was sweltering in valleys far below! Hope the back/knee get better and that you're out on the hills soon.
Nancy by name...
Nancy
Elite athlete

Postby Simon » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:00 pm

Thanks a lot Nancy, and everyone else. Can manage the stairs now without too much trouble.

Hazel, I didn't even see you, but thanks so much for coming up... see you soon.
Simon
Elite athlete

Previous

Return to Fell Running