Joss Naylor Recce

Moderators: Philip Barnes, Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Joss Naylor Recce

Postby Mandy » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:31 am

Martin and I are planning to go to recce end leg 1 and start of leg 2, on Sunday morning. Plan to park at Kirkstone Pass, reverse route to find the line down from the last top on Leg 1 and then go up Red Screes and along to Fairfield and back.

Plan to leave at 7:00am and there are a couple of spaces in the car.

Mandy

ps; I am planning to have a go at JNC on 14th June on a 14 hour schedule. Digby, Steve, Mike, Martin and Phil have all kindly volunteered to support and run long legs...they have said they need the training! If there is anyone else who would like to come out, I know it is a very busy weekend with the Charnley and Julie's Paddy, then please let me know.
Mandy
Front runner

Re: Joss Naylor Recce

Postby Simon » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:20 am

Would love to join you Mandy... I have never done the route of the Joss, but after all this time BG training (plus work) I am now concentrating firmly on tapering. Hoping for good weather for you.... and for me 8)
Simon
Elite athlete

Postby Brian J » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:09 pm

Congratulations on your great success yesterday Mandy!
Although you have not issued an official communiqué on the website the Charnley team we received your text whilst breakfasting at Wilf's Café this morning. We were pretty confident of your success as 3 of our number met you going the other way well ahead of schedule on Esk Pike (yes, we were running in pairs but that will be one of the many tales to be revealed later - perhaps by Andy Skelhorn). Getting in with 45 mins to spare is a very impressive achievement in the 50 to 55 category.
It seems to have been a good weekend for Naylor completions. Several Lakeland orienteers were successful - W70 Carole McNeil in about 21hrs 30mins, M65 Dick Towler did 16-45 costing me a lot of sponsorship money, fellow M65s Dave Neild and Simon Cane took under 20 hrs and Cliff Etherden a little under 18hrs.
Brian J
Front runner

Postby BrianMac » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:24 pm

Well done Mandy. A great result.
BrianMac
Honorary Paparazzi

Postby Simon » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:20 pm

Fantastic Mandy....inspirational 8) .

The time limit in your class is very tight....a great result :)
Simon
Elite athlete

Postby Mandy » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:32 pm

Had a brilliant day out completing the Joss Naylor on Saturday and was really pleased and surprised to get back in less than the allocated 14 hours (13:14).

Big thanks to all my support team;
- Steve and Mike for getting me off to a great start on Legs 1 and 2 and for Phil guiding us down to Kirkstone. The weather was truly inspirational on leg 1 with stunning views and perfect conditions.
- Digby, Ross and Catherine for guiding me though the slightly more changeable conditions over the central fells and helping the time whizz by. It was great to see Hazel, Dave and Dave for a quick hug after Esk Pike! I was a bit puzzled by there being only 3, but it was a bit misty! I hope Andy is found???
- Martin and Steve who joined us at Styhead, (Steve again as he needs the practice to have a go later in the year!) and although it was a bit claggy and wet on Kirkfell we were all smiling and happy when Phil rejoined us at Haycock for the last two hills down (well up and down!) to Greendale where Joss was on the bridge to meet us.
- Melanie and Annette for bringing water, fruit and goodies up to Styhead and Black Sail pass.
- Phil and Martin for road support and Chris Cripps who allowed us to stay at his house, even though he was not there.

Steve was disappointed that he did not have to make me do a sprint finish off Seatallan, I was very relieved.

Phil was most anxious that I got around in time that we could all be in Gosforth Hall for 8:20, to make last orders for food! Luckily we made that in time too and were joined by John Bunyan who was up there to do a kayak event on Sunday!

Mandy :) :)
Mandy
Front runner

Postby mudskimmer » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:23 pm

Once again Mandy - really well done!!
mudskimmer
Elite athlete

Postby BARRY BLYTH » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:41 pm

Great stuff Mandy.

You were in our thoughts in the Old and New DG on Friday/Saturday (and Wilf's on sunday am). The 2nd leggers (minus Andy who was having one of his several Tarn bathes) said you were looking good and well up on schedule.

cheers Barry
BARRY BLYTH
Elite athlete

Postby phil cheek » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:44 pm

A great performance from Mandy,blowing some of her support away on the last 2 climbs,Martin & I calling for her to carry our packs but too far distanced for anyone to hear.
A good evening in the Gosforth Hall once I`d chivvied everyone through the shower in time to make last orders for food.Good to know I still have my uses!
A good day for Macc on Sunday as well with John Bunyan winning Seaquest( kayak orienteering) in the Ravenglass estuary with race founder Annette 1st lady & her assistant yours truly just behind her.
Any news of Julie`s Paddy?
Phil
phil cheek
Elite athlete

Postby Simon » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:38 am

Had a text from Larry...Julie completed in 24.12. Nice pic from Geoff Pet on Facebook of a silhouette of Julie and support on the climb of something that probably has an unpronounceable name!

Well done Julie, hope you had fun. :D
Simon
Elite athlete

Postby Rachael » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:49 pm

Well done Mandy and others too!
Rachael
Mid pack runner

Postby david tucker » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:24 pm

We always knew of the possibility of meeting Mandy en-route but it was a surprise when surrounded by the Help for Heros walkers ascending Esk Pike to suddenly see Digby descending rapidly towards us with Mandy close behind. Hill hugs and quick progress checks then on we went in opposite directions.

Another frequent topic of the weekend was how Julie was getting on with her Paddy Buckley. It was with disappointment we learnt that she finished minutes outside the 24 hours allowed. More tales to follow, I guess.

Out on the hills in the Lakes over the last 2 weekends we have met many BG folks and as a consequence know that next weekend there are at least 8 teams starting at 7pm so Simon - you will have company on the hills to see you through the night. If it's clear you will barely have any darkness this time of year.
david tucker
Elite athlete

Postby Simon » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:57 am

I believe Dark Peak have 9 contenders and Pennines another 2. Can probably double that for the weekend.

Be over before we know it :wink:
Simon
Elite athlete

Postby Mandy » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:35 pm

Weather looks really good for you Simon, at the weekend.
Good Luck and I hope you have as much fun as I had last weekend...only more so as you have a bit longer to be out on the fells!
Sorry we can't be around to help.
Mandy
Mandy
Front runner

Return to Fell Running