For those who bonk...

Moderators: Philip Barnes, Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

For those who bonk...

Postby Philip Barnes » Thu May 29, 2014 4:25 pm

If, like me, you find yourself shutting down after about 4 or 5 hours (I know....light-weight :oops: ), can I suggest 'Amino Load'?
I tried this on Tony Bear's recommendation( coz he sells it) on Monday afternoon and got myself round a circuit that included: The Nab, White Nancy, Kerridge trig, Teggs, Shutt, Cat n Fiddle, Derbyshire Bridge, Ax edge trig, shining tor, thirsbitch, Sponds Hill trig and back to Styperson.
It's nothing compared to the antics of Nancy B et al, but for me, that is a long way and apart from a few jelly babies, I got round just drinking 2x 500mls made up using the powder and some electrolyte mixed in and felt great(ish). So for me it might just be the way forward.
"The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict."
http://www.jolokia.uk.com
Philip Barnes
Elite athlete

Re: For those who bonk...

Postby Dave Buxton » Thu May 29, 2014 6:52 pm

And it's (Allsports) winter training formula is similarly good, especially the butterscotch stuff. Easy to digest and basically food in a drink. :mrgreen:
Shady Dave
Dave Buxton
Mid pack runner

Postby Tom Whittington » Thu May 29, 2014 8:18 pm

Sounds like good advice Phil thanks. I'll try that!

Likewise I seem to suffer 4 hours or so in to a run even if I eat almost constantly. I was in the Old County Tops a few weeks back and struggled to get food down and probably lost an hour as a consequence. Fortunately there was tea and egg sandwiches at Cockley Beck, which was a life saver, as the carb powder in my drink wasn't doing the job.

Always up for trying something new! See you in the hills.
Tom Whittington
Mid pack runner

Postby mudskimmer » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:37 pm

I used to sup the High5 stuff until I found that it set solid in its container so I wondered what it was doing to my guts. Since then I've tried to rely on food.
On a separate but related topic, since injured I've been wearing Hokas - yep 'Spice girl' shoes - and although I hate them - if it wasn't for them I wouldn't even be able to walk for more than 10 minutes at a time. So they aren't all bad it seems.
mudskimmer
Elite athlete

Return to Fell Running