Handicap 2013 results

Moderators: Philip Barnes, Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Handicap 2013 results

Postby phil cheek » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:13 pm

All,
First of all thanks for coming & all the nice comments,even from those who were stuffed.
Second,my thanks to Pete & Barry for their help-we look forward to seeing them both fully restored very soon-& to Dave,Brian & Fletch who gave support on the route.And of course a big thank you to the team at St Dunstans for their hospitality.
A record turnout-50,just beating last year`s previous record(but not by 10 or more as I mistakenly said earlier).
Noone got lost,I should hope not in those conditions, only a crocked John Mooney didn`t visit the sweetie tree.
Good to see new faces like Andrea taking on a rough long fellrun for the first time & finishing strong & great to have Jim Kelly back for the first time this century(come back next year & I promise to be kinder Jim)
Full results when I can face the onerous task of doing them but a few highlights.
Fastest by a minute from Spyke was Simon Harding
Nearest to target time were Matt Lewis 30 secs under & Simon 33 secs over.
Simon also finished exactly midfield so arguably he was the only one correctly handicapped.
37 of 49 finishers were within 10 minutes of target,19 within 5 minutes.
Finally a message from my beautiful but absent(working keeping the nation`s lights on!) assistant Annette who would love to see any of you like Kirsty who find yourselves on Clydeside & insists I remind you all about her beautiful 4 bedroom holiday cottage on Arran(annette@smugglersden.info).
Phil
phil cheek
Elite athlete

Re: Handicap 2013 results

Postby Brian J » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:46 pm

Many thanks Phil and helpers for an excellent event, and I very much liked the safety innovation of swapping a numbered block of wood at the Cat and Fiddle checkpoint for a doughnut. Perhaps this should be written into the FRA Safety Rules to encourage compliance.

I took photos of the people who passed me and most of the finishers. I had planned to send these to Tucker and he was going to link them onto the website. However, I fear that he has taken to his bed after an unequal struggle against a cold during the race and won't be able to post them. If anyone else can do this instead then I will email them to you - Julian?
Brian J
Front runner

Postby jo m » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:33 pm

Thanks a lot Phil for organising as always, plus Barry and Pete. An enjoyable trundle round.
Rumour has it that the first back may not have actually paid his subs, instead being persuaded to part with some magic beans in exchange for a ridiculous red and yellow vest, The runner up was considering legal proceedings, but the membership secretary has confirmed that the matter can be amicably sorted out in a suitable post run hostelry in the near future, preferably one with an open fire to allow us to 'treat' the above mentioned garment.
It's also been brought to our attention that the rspca are investigating a couple of cases, it appears that there was more than a little difference in ability between a couple of our runners and their canine companions. Sadly the runners in question may need another visit to the vets for treatment with the big syringe.
Finally, an interesting study in pre race preparation. It seems that 8 pints of absolution followed by a donkey phaal leads to superior results than the alternative of total rest ( free bus rides and 18 hours sleep each day for the week before. ) Phil had the runs well before he was out of the pub door, whereas Dave was allegedly stopped by several one legged octogenerian ramblers checking he was ok as they passed. He wasn't, of course, but was still not anywhrre near ill enough to risk a ride back in Barry s car. Get well soon Dave.
cheers jo (probably)
jo m
Plodder

Postby Dave Buxton » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:41 pm

Just adding my thanks to all involved. Larry was a worthy winner, subs or no subs. Whilst I was descending pretty quickly off Teggs, Larry was flying. I was happy with my efforts and I have no mantelpiece for any shiny silverware. A well organised and fun day out amongst convivial company. Thanks again.
Shady Dave
Dave Buxton
Mid pack runner

Postby Colin Ardron » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:43 pm

Brian says:- "I very much liked the safety innovation of swapping a numbered block of wood at the Cat and Fiddle checkpoint for a doughnut. Perhaps this should be written into the FRA Safety Rules to encourage compliance."

I can't see that happening; think of the complications. FRA (read EA or maybe that should be fEAr) would have to insist on another MUST in their guidelines, i.e. that Race Organisers MUST appoint an environmental health officer* to assess hygiene standards before during and after the doughnut handover process; and blocks of wood would (good that eh?) MUST be monitored for compliance* with Sustainable Forestry Standards* and anyone caught breaking wind WILL have the full force of the FRA Disciplinary Committee to contend with.
Can you imagine?

You think I joke?

Hey it's nearly Christmas - lighten up will you! And I've paid my subs as well.

* monitored for compliance with = checked
* sustainable forestry standards = plant a palm oil tree in place of a Astrocaryum jauari
* environmental health officer = no, no there might be one of them out there!

Well anything is better than watching TV.
Colin Ardron
Elite athlete

Postby BARRY BLYTH » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:16 pm

I did my bit for "hygiene" and recycling. Dave T only had 1 bite out of his doughnut but despite him having a heavy cold I bravely ate the rest to save following runners health (not that there were many).

Where did the sun go when I set off from the St D to the Cat?

Barry
BARRY BLYTH
Elite athlete

Postby BrianMac » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:41 pm

Great event Phil, most enjoyable and thanks Barry for your donut generosity, even though I didn't qualify because I was going the wrong way round. A most enjoyable day out and nice to see so many new faces up there on the hill.

Methinks the Mebership Secretary is masquerading as Ms Probably earlier in this thread. Rumour has it he also has a stack of Go Mags long overdue distribution.
BrianMac
Honorary Paparazzi

Postby BARRY BLYTH » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:51 am

Doughnut vs. donut
The dictionary-approved spelling for the ring-shaped cake made of dough and fried in fat is doughnut. The shortened donut has been around since the late 1800s, but it wasn’t popularized until the late 20th century, when the successful American doughnut chain Dunkin’ Donuts made it ubiquitous. Today, writers outside the U.S. still favor doughnut by a wide margin. Donut appears about a third of the time in published American writing.

Donut is a simpler spelling, so it may grow even more common now that it has a foothold. Those of us who don’t wish to assist Dunkin’ Donuts’s branding would be wise to resist the trend, though.

Either way the "nuts" were generously donated by Julian. He gets a good discount owing to the vast quantity he downs in the year.
BARRY BLYTH
Elite athlete

Postby Steve Swallow » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:43 am

Just to add my thanks too, as usual a great event - my first decent(?) run since the summer. I have to say I particularly enjoyed the donuts too, so thanks Barry!
Steve Swallow
Plodder

Postby Andy Ardron » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:09 am

Thoroughly enjoyed what was also my first fell handicap this century (last ran it in 98 I think, when it went clockwise). Thanks to Phil, Barry, Pete and anyone else that helped organising!

Andy
Andy Ardron
Plodder

Postby Clare GVS » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:38 am

I'd like to add my (and Kirby's) thanks for another great day out, impeccably organised as always and top fun. Well done all! :)
Clare GVS
Front runner

Postby LARRY » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:47 am

Thank you all for a great day out yesterday, had an epic battle with Geoff who just kept coming back no matter what I did, but unfortunately for him watching him descend only served to teach me how to do it myself, and I did get a bit of assistance from a helpful bog which removed one of his shoes at the bottom of Shining Tor and led to some choice swear words :o . Dave was valiant to the last but I was so excited to actually be at the front that I just couldn't bear the thought of any of the whippets hairing past me on the drop of Teggs so 'flew' all the way to the reservoir. Looking forward to next year when I will get a lovely lie in before racing!

Thanks Phil, Barry, n Pete

Happy Christmas
Larry
LARRY
Elite athlete

Postby phil cheek » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:22 pm

The rumour that Larry was a lapsed member proved unfounded.He paid in full in August.
Larry has agreed not to sue in return for a winning handicap next year.
I shall be hoping his memory is such that he will forget by the time I stuff him next year in the traditional manner.
Phil
phil cheek
Elite athlete

Postby Julian Brown » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:41 pm

Brian Jackson's photos follow on the next few posts, thanks a lot Brian !
Several of these are missing a caption I think, all suggestions welcome......

Julian Brown
Elite athlete

Postby Julian Brown » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:44 pm

Julian Brown
Elite athlete

Next

Return to Fell Running