Weekend away -- 6th Dec - 7th Dec

Moderators: Philip Barnes, Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Weekend away -- 6th Dec - 7th Dec

Postby fellsman » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:57 pm

Summer has gone, dark nights are here and Xmas is on it’s way. It seems a good time to plan another Harriers weekend away. After the apparent success of last years event I have decided to take the reins again. The dates this year will be Friday 6th December and Saturday 7th. These dates have been chosen because there is again a fell race on the Sunday morning, which was popular with both competitors and spectators last year. The race is only 20 mins away and on the route home.
The venue will be the Youth Hostel in Haworth, West Yorkshire. Some of us have already stayed there this year and can recommend it. It is a lovely large rambling building, close to the beautiful Bronte countryside and within walking distance of a good pub. (much nearer than last year) See the link for more details http://www.yha.org.uk/hostel/haworth.

The prices per night are as follows; £11.50 for YHA members. £14.50 for non-members and £13 for U18’s. Breakfast is £4.99 and should be ordered when booking, to give them an idea of numbers.

Booking can be done online or by free phone 0800 0191 700. If you state that you are with Macclesfield Harriers they will try to ensure the ladies are roomed together as will the gents. As the hostel is quite large, there is no great urgency to place your booking, but don’t leave it too late.
fellsman
Mid pack runner

Re: Weekend away -- 6th Dec - 7th Dec

Postby phil cheek » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:02 am

Annette & I are booked in for this jaunt.Have booked a room so Dave W won`t keep me awake all night snoring!!!!!!!!!!!!
Phil
phil cheek
Elite athlete

Postby BrianMac » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:19 pm

I am in, not too fussy who I sleep with as long as I get plenty to drink the evening before 8)
BrianMac
Honorary Paparazzi

Postby BrianMac » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:44 pm

Sorry, but in the words of the dancing dragon "I'm out". Love to have been there but I will be working :?
BrianMac
Honorary Paparazzi

Postby Andy Skelhorn » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:46 pm

I've booked now, so I'm in for the weekend.
Andy Skelhorn
Elite athlete

Postby Julian Brown » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:26 pm

We are planning to eat at the Fleece on the main street Sat night, it tends to get busy so were planning on booking a table, how many are interested ?

A plan has also been hatched for a day out on Saturday - walk (maybe gentle jog downhill ?) with a stop halfway for tea and cakes - or alternatively more beer.
Julian Brown
Elite athlete

Postby fellsman » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:15 pm

I think myself, Tucks, Dave Walker and probably John Mooney will be up there early afternoon for a
bit of a walk, so I think you can safely book us down for eating. Not sure what time the others will arrive.
fellsman
Mid pack runner

Postby david tucker » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:58 pm

I pleased to announce that I have renewed my SYHA membership in readiness for the weekend.
What will happen after Independence?
david tucker
Elite athlete

Postby phil cheek » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:19 pm

Count Annette & I in for Fleece Friday night.
Should we cater in the hostel Sat night?I`ll happily take this on & I`m sure I can rake Tucks in to help.
Otherwise let`s find a feeder in Howarth,preferably the best seafood restaurant in town(dream on Phil)
Travel? I can offer 1 seat in the gofaster or 3 in the van.Or can I find a space with others?I aim to leave about 2pm
Phil
phil cheek
Elite athlete

Postby david tucker » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:10 am

I'll be up to do that with you Phil. Need to do some shopping though! And be good to include some animals on the menu as well.
david tucker
Elite athlete

Postby phil cheek » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:13 am

If enough folk want to eat in Saturday we could shop Saturday evening when it gets dark.
Plenty of time to knock up something vaguely edible with veggie option if necessary
Phil
phil cheek
Elite athlete

Postby Andy Skelhorn » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:44 am

Happy to help with the Saturday night shopping / Cooking. Be afraid.
Andy Skelhorn
Elite athlete

Postby jo m » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:03 pm

We're in hebden bridge, it's raining but thats ok cos were in the tea rooms.
jo m
Plodder

Postby phil cheek » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:23 pm

An excellent weekend
after a pub meal Friday night we walked about 8 miles over to Hebden Bridge Saturday morning to a nice café.
Disregarding the weather most of us(Jo,Jules,Skelly,Annette & I )set off on a Jules epic 14 miles & the obligatory finish in the dark back to Haworth.
Meanwhile wimps Tucker,John,Trevor & an unwell Dave Walker took a BUS,yes that`s a bus, back where they slept, backed horses or drank even more beer.
An excellent self catered meal followed,with a bottle of wine shared between the 9 of us & a short walk(by Julian`s reckoning)to a distant pub for a quick half.
Sunday found a group bimbling round the Mytholmroyd fellrace route while alcohol fuelled John led Trevor & Tucks home in the race.
All in all a brilliant weekend hardly marred by another experience of why the YHA will surely & sadly go to the wall soon if they don`t get they`re act together.Cold/cool showers in December(both nights) while charging nearly B&B prices .
Thanks Trev for putting this together
Phil
phil cheek
Elite athlete

Return to Fell Running