Beginner friendly fell races

Moderators: Philip Barnes, Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Beginner friendly fell races

Postby markwalker » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:01 pm

Hi all,
In the spirit of the cross-discipline challenge I am looking to run a couple of fell races this year - any recommendations for somebody more used to road running would be appreciated.
I was thinking of the Bollington 3 Peaks next month, maybe something longer later in the year. My main worries over fell running have always been getting lost and having to buy loads of new kit so bear this in mind please :)

Thanks!

Mark
markwalker
Plodder

Re: Beginner friendly fell races

Postby phil cheek » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:40 am

Mark,no need for lots of kit if you stick to the lower level,shorter races....which are also usually marked routes so no nav needed.Just a decent pair of grippy studded shoes.
Try Teggs Nose & the Wednesday evening races which are in the club diary.
Enjoy,but be prepared to get hooked!
Phil
phil cheek
Elite athlete

Postby Philip Barnes » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:35 am

Hi Mark,
I will be back marker for this race, and though some unkind types might imply that getting lost is a definite possibility, I generally find my way round without any major difficulties. It's a great race with beer and grub at the finish!
"The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict."
http://www.jolokia.uk.com
Philip Barnes
Elite athlete

Postby Simon » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:27 pm

Thanks for mentioning Teggs. I was just about suggest it :D
Simon
Elite athlete

Postby BARRY BLYTH » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:42 pm

well done on your London time Mark. I've already been in the "spirit". Cheshire ccc; 2 road races and 9 fell races. Might have a go at the Macc track events.

If it's dry you will get by with trail shoes on the mentioned races. If you want top have a go at longer ones then the Kinder Trog 24th June from Hayfield ca 16 mls and 3500 ft up/down and Windgather 14th Oct from Buxton around the Goyt valley (13.5 mls and 2500 ft) are relatively fast courses with fair amounts on paths/tracks would suit you. On these latter 2 the routes are fairly clear but you would need to carry at least windproofs compass and whistle in a bum bag. If you want to borrow gear to try them out let it be known.

cheers Barry
BARRY BLYTH
Elite athlete

Postby markwalker » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:09 am

Thanks for suggestions and help - I'll see how I get on in Bollington before deciding what else to try. I best try and get some hills in too, I've got used to pancake flat road running this year.
markwalker
Plodder

Postby MikeG » Sat May 05, 2012 8:30 am

Just about any race attached to a local fair should be regarded as beginner friendly, e.g. either race up Tegg's Nose, Wincle Trout race at beginning of June, Shutt's race. All these are short, and as Phil says all you need is a pair of shoes with reasonable grip. Such races also have the advantage that any non-running family members will be entertained whilst you run (and on hand refreshments afterwards).
best wishes, Mike G
MikeG
Mid pack runner

Return to Fell Running