Gradbach Grumble - Wednesday Night Orienteering 23rd Nov.

Moderators: Philip Barnes, Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Postby Hazel » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:25 pm

Thanks to everyone who organised the event -tremendous fun
Hazel
Elite athlete

Postby mhlewis » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:34 pm

Yes, thanks from me as well. An excellent night out!
Matt Lewis
mhlewis
Elite athlete

Postby DM » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:21 pm

Alex and I enjoyed it as well, as much as I can enjoy gasping to keep up with a 16 year old for 90 minutes. He reckons without his handicap (me) he could have done a couple more.

Also messed up on route choice near 13 and gave ourselves extra climb.

If you like this, have a go at the MDOC night street league, mix of road and urban tracks with the common theme of a pub at the end.
DM

Postby mudskimmer » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:27 pm

We didn't have a problem at c/point 16 - whats all the fuss about?!
Many thanks for organising, it was an enjoyable night out.
mudskimmer
Elite athlete

Postby david tucker » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:46 pm

Weekend after next (4th Dec) I plan to organise the Sunday run to tour the event route so we can all see where the controls were - in daylight and orientate ourselves to where we were last night!

Is there an organiser willing to host this - Phil Digby Brian et al?? Please let me know - this is your chance to re run the route in delightful company and also explain the logic of area, route and control location.

This run will be announced as usual on the fell runner bit of the forum Friday before the 4th Dec. We may start from a different place but cover the whole route. No need for a torch - 9.30 am start.

Ideal for those who like night time orienteering except for the darkness.

david tucker
Elite athlete

Postby Brian J » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:55 pm

I should be OK for that. It was very enjoyable putting the controls out but I did the ones to the North of the Start and did not experience the delights of open manholes and wolf sized hounds. However, with the southern area thrown in it has all the makings of a classic Tucker Sunday morning run. Icecream at Blaze Farm I presume.
Brian J
Front runner

Postby phil cheek » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:36 am

I`m away & am NOT volunteering to flag it again.
But the GPS grid refs are available(Jules,Ewan) so you could check that have actually found each "control".At Sunday group pace it`s a 3 hour+ job even if you make no nav errors.
Brian,the wolf was on your bit at Parks where we both chatted to the dog`s friendly owner.
Kath,the issue at 16 was that there are 2 bridges within a few yards of each other over the same stream.If you were going up or down the footpath you were bound to find the right one.But if like Jules you approached via the lawn,manholes,or indeed via the kitchen in the hope of leftovers from supper,you could go straight to the lower bridge & conclude that the farmer had taken his revenge by removing the control.
The most difficult control was probably 2.Again the cause was 2 bridges very close together on the same stream.The path from 3,4 or 18 led you to an obvious flat open bridge which it turns out was NOT on the footpath on the map,which doubled back on itself to a wooden railed bridge well hidden by gorse 100yards northeast.If you went to the obvious(wrong) bridge you were led up the wrong wall & missed the control.Until I went down from SpringHead to it yesterday I didn`t know the wooden bridge was there.Did anybody find the right bridge from the north I wonder?
In retrospect that bit was almost impossible to get right in the dark.
Phil
Phil
phil cheek
Elite athlete

Postby Julian Brown » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:04 pm

Julian Brown
Elite athlete

Postby Simon » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:14 pm

Sunday 4th you say?.....I may even get to this one...
Simon
Elite athlete

Postby david tucker » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:28 pm

Thanks Brian for offering to host the 4th Dec. re-run.

To confirm - this is not being planned as an orienteering event. There will not be any controls. Its just a leisurley group run round the area visiting all the control locations that were used on the original event.

Then as Brian so sagacitly suggests, we can retire to Blaze farm for Tea and cakes.
david tucker
Elite athlete

Postby Clare GVS » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:35 am

Thanks Digby and all for a splendid evening. Well done on the cash raised too.
Clare GVS
Front runner

Postby Digby » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:48 pm

Message from Buxton MR:

Hello Digby,

I am very pleased to acknowledge receipt of the generous donation on behalf of Macclesfield Harriers to Buxton Mountain Rescue Team.

As you probably know the rescue team is totally dependent on charitable contributions so your gift is sincerely appreciated. As volunteers we are careful with our spending budgets so I can assure you that the money will be put to good use. We have funded two expensive projects in 2011 with a new response vehicle and team protective clothing, so your support has come at a very convenient time.

A sincere thank you on behalf of the whole Team, and please pass these thanks to all who made the donation possible.

Dick Warren

Treasurer

Buxton Mountain Rescue Team
Digby
Elite athlete

Previous

Return to Fell Running