Fellsman 29th (and possibly 30th) April

Moderators: Philip Barnes, Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Fellsman 29th (and possibly 30th) April

Postby Julian Brown » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:16 pm

About 8 club members have suggested that they might be trundling along for the Fellsman this year.

It's on the May Day bank holiday weekend (a week after the Anniversary Waltz which would prove an excellent warm up!) so an extra day up in the Yorkshire Dales, where it never rains.

It's a grand day (and possibly a bit of night) of eating and drinking tea - with a bit of walking (and occasional jogging down the hills if you feel like it) thrown in.

https://www.fellsman.org.uk/

All abilities welcome: no experience necessary - though a bit of training over longer distances would probably help - there are plenty of long distance walkers' events and long fell races between now and then.

It'd be great to see a few more folk along for the weekend: I'm hoping to do a bit more than the 4 mile I did last year before injuring myself.
Julian Brown
Elite athlete

Re: Fellsman 29th (and possibly 30th) April

Postby broon69 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:07 pm

Julian I'm interested. Dependent as always on other commitments!

Cheers
Graham
broon69
Front runner

Postby Julian Brown » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:31 pm

It's a good tester, as you'll be on your feet for a while and get to see a bit of night.

If you can see off the fellsman in 18 ours or so then a slightly longer jaunt round the Lakes in the summer - with your mates leading the way and carrying all your clobber - should be well within your range.

In fact there used to be a steady stream of folk training for the BG who'd do high peak marathon, edale skyline, haworth hobble, fellsman, old county tops, and a few more: get round most of that lot and the BG should be fine !

Would be good to see a few folk out for my anniversary lap: I might even bring a cake.
Julian Brown
Elite athlete

Postby MissRunningBear » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:53 pm

Think it's the week after the OCT this year?
Also think there's an MCR Paddy bid (shhhhh) on that weekend too?
Kirsty x
MissRunningBear
Plodder

Postby Julian Brown » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:41 pm

By way of encouragement to enter this 48 hour eating competition, we were helping out at a similar Long Distance Walkers event earlier today,, and a couple of the ladies at the finish suggested they might be tempted by another portion of the apple crumble.

Most of the spare cake will be off to the Cannock Chase trig points race tomorrow, if the car suspension can cope: I don't think anyone will be going home hungry.

And there's more food on the Fellsman.

20170121_171353_resized.jpg
20170121_171353_resized.jpg (78.27 KiB) Viewed 1032 times
Julian Brown
Elite athlete

Return to Fell Running