Sunday run 17th July 2016

Moderators: Philip Barnes, Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Sunday run 17th July 2016

Postby david tucker » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:17 am

9.30 Dane Bridge, Wincle. SK11 0QE

You wouldn't believe it and I'm sure he wouldn't want you to know.... but it's Brian Mac's 60th Birthday on Sunday and to celebrate this achievement of longevity we're having a run out from Wincle because that's what he wanted and everyone is invited.

Running at 60 - well nearly!

There will be a cake/s afterwards and if it's nice the post-run part may be in the brewery at Dane bridge. If not, in the Ship Inn nearby.

Prior to all this there will be a ~2hour off-road run at a steady pace, hopefully in the sun for us all.

Dane bridge - Park & meet here.

Meet at Tucker's (9.05am departure) if this is convenient for you for car sharing.

david tucker
Elite athlete

Re: Sunday run 17th July 2016

Postby Hazel » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:49 pm

A Very Happy Birthday Sunday Brian. I will be up in the Dales so unfortunately unable to join your celebratory run. Hope you have a great day xx
Hazel
Elite athlete

Postby david tucker » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:31 pm

Could be a nice day!
david tucker
Elite athlete

Postby Donworkin » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:49 pm

A fair gathering of fell harriers turned up for Brian's birthday run, including an array of women sporting their distinctive sartorial wear. Donworkin- like last week's Sunday run, set off 10 minutes earlier than the rest to ease into the route that Tux had devised, to give him a chance of keeping in touch later on when the going gets tough.
A warm cloudy start bode well for the journey that gently climbed from the river Dane, up through lush green fields to eventually top out by the Wild Boar PH on the Leek Buxton road, where it then dropped into soft ground before heading over towards Winkle Minn, but beforehand taking a dodgy path through an area we call Jurassic Park, where the swampy terrain and green canopy are ideal conditions for creatures of all descriptions to morph themselves into whatever they wish. The strange sounds that often emenate from this strange territory are mostly of distraught runners than from their far off ancestors. The ones that are lucky to survive the mire exit the undergrowth to expose themselves to a short uphill pull to reach farmstead and sea of mud, where it appears, a heard of cows had lovingly mixed their shite with natures earth and rain to a flowing consistency that ebbs and flows, depending on what or whom disturbs it : such things are often encountered on runs or even a Potter. It wasn't too far from this place that the group came across Donworkin, and the going became easier -though not that much. It then wasn't that long before we were all running down the Dane, over the weir and back to the famous bridge. And a well earned slice of cake provided by the lovelies, Julie and Steph, to celebrate Brian's Birthday. All to be had al fresco at the macro Brewery opposite the river :D

Perhaps Brian, could kindly provide some pics of the occasion?
Donworkin
Elite athlete

Postby david tucker » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:29 pm

Running, beer, cakes, tea, even sunshine. Could be worse!
david tucker
Elite athlete

Postby Ang » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:35 pm

Happy birthday Brian!
Sorry I missed your little tea party. Was away for the weekend near Brampton.
Hope you had fun and have a great holiday!
Ang
Plodder

Postby Steve Swallow » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:59 pm

Sorry to have missed the run. Happy Birthday Brian - hope I'm running as well as you when I'm 60!
All the best from Steve & Fran. (Currently in a laundrette in Boulder - there are far worse places to be in a launderette :D )
Steve Swallow
Plodder

Postby Simon » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:03 am

Well that turned out nice. Dropped my daughter off in Biddulph before coming down to Wincle, and the mist was such that you couldn't see more than about 30 yards. Drop down to Danebridge and glorious sunshine.... Good to be out in good company again.

Thanks for the cake.... A very pleasant surprise.

Can I make a plea for volunteers for the Teggs race again? Saturday 13th August starting at 2.30.... All proceeds to MIND. Please see the thread above /below.
Simon
Elite athlete

Postby Colin Ardron » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:19 pm

Sorry I missed your birthday run Brian but I was away back on my old stamping ground near Loughborough doing a little trail (Brooksie's Bash organised by Shelton Striders) race which at 10 miles is my longest run since last year. Got round - just!
Colin Ardron
Elite athlete

Return to Fell Running