Scamper-O orienteering Wed 25 May - Disley

Moderators: Philip Barnes, Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Scamper-O orienteering Wed 25 May - Disley

Postby Brian J » Wed May 18, 2016 3:05 pm

This year's Scamper-O is on Weds 25 May
Venue - Disley Station Car Park, South side A6 - GR 974845
Mass Start at 7pm
90 min Score Event all on public rights of way. Map provided with control circles printed on. Clues on questionnaire format. Penalties for being late.
Registration from 6.15pm. Free to enter.
Pub afterwards in the Dandy Cock (about 100m to the East of the car park on opp side of A6.They will have stopped serving food but I may be able to negotiate a few bowls of chips.
I hope to see plenty of Weds nighters and all who did the excellent navigation training course recently.
Helpers - I will need a couple of helpers to do registration, and afterwards a couple of people to check the paperwork. These can be competitors.
Also a couple of non-competitors to handle the finish. Please let me know.
Brian J
Front runner

Re: Scamper-O orienteering Wed 25 May - Disley

Postby mhlewis » Thu May 19, 2016 3:04 pm

Alas! The Scamper-O is during half-term again, and I will be away again :cry:
Matt Lewis
mhlewis
Elite athlete

Postby Brian J » Wed May 25, 2016 12:28 pm

Come prepared for a possible shower. Bring pens/pencils to mark the description sheets. We may have some plastic bags for the maps but you may prefer to bring your own and have gear that works better.
Take care of motor traffic when running on any of the roads and particularly the road to Whaley. All on public footpaths and rights of way etc. No climbing walls and fences allowed or necessary.
Afterwards at the Dandy Cock pub across the road from the start/finish for beer and results and prizes(!) but no food (sorry!).
Looking forward to seeing all you competitors, all registered and ready for the mass start at 7pm.
Brian J
Front runner

Postby Dave Buxton » Thu May 26, 2016 7:55 am

Many thanks to Brian for organising another enjoyable scampero. Despite the drizzle all seemed to have a great time.

Had my marmalade prize already on some buttered toast this morning- very tasty! If there is a recount on scores , it is too late to claim that particular prize.

Cheers

Dave
Shady Dave
Dave Buxton
Mid pack runner

Postby Neil Gunn » Thu May 26, 2016 9:53 am

Brian - thank you for this year's Scamper-O - really good event despite poor weather.

Katy and Julie did a great job testing out their new found nav skills ..and we had a good laugh!

We achieve our target ..we were not last. :D

See you next year...

Neil
Run for your life!
:-)
Neil Gunn
Elite athlete

Postby Julian Brown » Thu May 26, 2016 12:04 pm

Thanks for organising once again Brian, and great to see so many folk out (and from so many different groups in the club !), on a bit of a dismal evening.

No-one got too lost I think (well, if they did we haven't seen them since)

The map is here should you have the wish to go round again,

and Brian's slightly cryptic clue sheet (you have to run and think at the same time....)
Attachments
ScamperOquests-2016.docx
(19.15 KiB) Downloaded 119 times
Test1-All controls.pdf
(631.29 KiB) Downloaded 138 times
Julian Brown
Elite athlete

Postby Brian J » Sat May 28, 2016 4:08 pm

Results -
1 Julian Brown
2 Dave Buxton
3= Martin Rands
3= David Tucker
5 Chris Rostron
6 Jo Miles
7= Julie Smith/Katie Barnes/Neil Gunn
7= Trevor Longman
9 Alanah Birtwistle/Barry Blyth
10 Angela Leonard/Dave Walker
11 Richard Ainley/Graham Brown
12 Den Masset/Emma Beveridge
13 Richard Applewhite
14 Steve Lomas/Catherine Voyce
15 Carl Hanaghan

Later I hope that we can post a full results table including points scored and penalties elsewhere on the website.

A very dismal drizzly Disley Station car park was the venue for this years ScamperO orienteering event. Thanks to all 22 competitors for not only coming along and being remarkably cheerful on such a night. It was good to see a few new faces too.

All of the controls got visited by at least one competitor so even the furthest controls were visited. Julian got to the Bowstones control and onto the Furness Vale side but did not make it to the one at the back of the A6. The fact that competitors visited a very different mixes of controls seems to indicate that the planning worked.

Homemade prizes of a bitter sweet and sticky nature were presented in the pub on the basis of the provisional results and competitors being there to collect. A careful check of the sheets has made only minor changes to the results.

Thanks to the Dandy Cock for providing and excellent venue for the after event get-together, Julian for printing the maps and Dave Buxton bagging them on the night. The use of Sainsbury’s A3 foodbags saved us from the full papier maché meltdown.
Brian J
Front runner

Postby Neil Gunn » Sun May 29, 2016 4:14 pm

Run for your life!
:-)
Neil Gunn
Elite athlete

Return to Fell Running