Coniston Fell Race - Sat 30th April

Moderators: Philip Barnes, Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Coniston Fell Race - Sat 30th April

Postby Andy Skelhorn » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:47 pm

The Yorkshire 3 Peaks is full, so plan B for the same day (Sat 30th April) is the Coniston Fell Race.
Entry on the day, but does anyone fancy this (and car share)?
Andy Skelhorn
Elite athlete

Re: Coniston Fell Race - Sat 30th April

Postby Tom Whittington » Sun May 01, 2016 8:44 pm

Superb race at Coniston yesterday. The usual route was altered due to concerns of racers throwing themselves down the Old Man in the snowy conditions. Instead we threw ourselves down from Swirl Hause where the snow was in places 3 feet deep and covering boulders and thick bog. The route took an energy sapping and lung bursting schlep up Wetherlam and from there with no breather I was caught up with other eager runners and sprinted on as if it was Hanging Stone in the Forest five. I saw one man in front of me take a face plant in the snow and end up hip deep in the hidden bog, before running on without breaking his stride. Great stuff, but I am not sure the altered route ended up any easier!

The most fun I've had in the fells for ages and I was grinning like a Skelhorn all the way back down to the finish, who incidentally is exactly who I saw storming in just behind me followed by Phil Barnes. A great race and thoroughly recommended (although certainly not as tough a day out the Y3Peaks!).
Tom Whittington
Mid pack runner

Return to Fell Running