Windgather Fell Race, Sun 11th Oct. 11am

Moderators: Philip Barnes, Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Windgather Fell Race, Sun 11th Oct. 11am

Postby Julian Brown » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:26 pm

I'm 'organising' the race (ie claiming the credit) this year in conjunction with Buxton Roatary (who've actually done all the work).

Rotary have generously provided enough people to man the controls, dish out drinks and man the registration, finish, and tea / cake section, which is much appreciated.

So if you want to run, then run, (though see * below)

However i'm still after a few 'volunteers'.

1. I need one or ideally two sweep runners, who can follow the last runners and check at each checkpoint that everyone is accounted for.
2. In addition, we 'may' need to send out someone to find / retrieve (in a car) any strays who might have made thir way to Whaley or somewhere else well off the route. (from experience if the sweep do this then they never catch up.)
3. We could do with at least 2 people who are first aid qualified.
4. I could do with someone to put the results on the computer - this could be someone who races if they finish 'well up'. It's pretty straightforward, even I can manage it.
5. We're marking the course Saturday 10th, at a steady pace, so if you want to join us for that please let me know.

If you don't want to run, and can help, it'd be much appreciated, thanks muchly . :D :D

*If you do run, save a bit of energy for after the finish, because if I see you loafing about on the grass I'll give you a job, which could be results running, filling up the water containers, or just fetching me a cup of tea. And if you're looking particularly chipper at the end, it could be you that has to fetch the lost runner from Whaley Bridge.

Date & time: Sun 11th Oct 2015 at 11:00
Region: Peak District
Category: BL
Distance: 21.7km / 13.5m
Climb: 762m / 2500ft
Venue: Burbage Institute,Bishops Lane, Buxton, SK17 6UL.
Grid ref: 044730
Skills & experience: ER, PM, LK, NS
Minimum age: 18
Julian Brown
Elite athlete

Re: Windgather Fell Race, Sun 11th Oct. 11am

Postby jimmywills » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:31 pm

As a novice long fell race runner you have just made me panic about being 'that' lost runner in Whaley Bridge. Is it that easy to get lost given I will be running from the back?
jimmywills
Plodder

Postby Julian Brown » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:49 pm

The course will be 'partially marked' (red and white tape) and a map will be available at the start. (a draft is below)

http://macclesfield-harriers.co.uk/images/windgather%202015%20race%20map.pdf

You are expected to navigate round the route, but if you have a good look at the map, and follow the tape, you should be fine.

There are 3 or 4 places where folk have gone wrong in the past, and I expect will again this year, but we'll do our best !!

(Do bear in mind that if wearing a Macc vest, other folk will assume as a local that you know where you're going....)
Julian Brown
Elite athlete

Postby jo m » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:54 pm

I'm planning on sweeping, anybody fancy joining me? Hopefully it will be a nice day and we won't be out forever! Jo :D
jo m
Plodder

Postby Julian Brown » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:19 pm

Come on you lot, I'm sure there must be the odd person who'd like a brisk walk / gentle jog up down and round the Goyt Valley.
I can offer you cake ......
Julian Brown
Elite athlete

Postby Hazel » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:55 pm

I was sort of (note the sort of) thinking of racing, but with my hamstring still sore will be more than happy to sweep with you Jo. Look forward to it
Hazel
Elite athlete

Postby jo m » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:01 pm

Thanks hazel, much appreciared. :D
jo m
Plodder

Return to Fell Running