Harwood 7 Memorial Run - Sun 12th Oct

Moderators: Philip Barnes, Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Re: Harwood 7 Memorial Run - Sun 12th Oct

Postby Donworkin » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:52 pm

Wheeloruns, You may find the, Garmin links below helpful. They give a good indication of the route, though not the area of, The Nab. They can be viewed in either Map, or Satellite format, with a useful zoom facility if needed.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/326339443

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/252719070

I thought, The Nab, was always a tricky spot on the route with its access thing and dodgy exit to the Shrigley rd. That, coupled with a fair amount of road prior to the slog up to Sponds Hill, didn’t slot too well in what I had for a route, so decided to leave it out and, instead, take a course from White Nancy, that went behind the old Cheshire Hunt and up those pleasant fields, to eventually hit Sponds Hill from the top of the Bakestonedale rd and, ever since that’s the route I’ve taken.

The Garmin, Dec’ 2012 outing, included, Jim Kelly and Pete Nolan, all though, Colin Ardron joined in the fun sometime later, somewhere in the region of Thursbitch. I remember Pete saying to me, on heading for Sponds Hill, ‘Alan, I hope you don’t mind if I take a slightly different route to the one you have in mind, as I am averse to these particular, out-and-back points’, to which I replied, do what ever you wish if it makes you feel any better. Craig had made known quite sometime prior to that statement, that he had similar views on such matters, which kinda put me at a disadvantage.

The June last year’trip, was from Standing Stone. Ray Eagle, had said a few years earlier that the new path by, Ridgegate res’, Langley, might be a better option than the one that was being taken. At some point, Ray had intended to give the full route an airing. He’d go out training over different sections and often said it would be a tough nut to crack. With that he actually meant, achieve a good time, - there never appeared to be half measures with, Ray’s, thinking. And I dare say that could easily have been said about Craig’s as well.
Donworkin
Elite athlete

Postby Colin Ardron » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:56 pm

Re. the out and back to Spond's HIll, this can be avoided simply by a slight deviation over the flanks of Andrew's Knob and dropping down to the Bakestonedale road, then up the ROW and then strike off right over the untamed and bone laden foot hills of Sponds Hill to reach the trig point - then down to the road again. I have done it all ways, sometimes including the Nab, sometimes not - it you are mad keen on peak bagging then after Howler's Knoll farm you can turn east and tackle the neat climb up to Cats Tor and then along the ridge to Shining Tor.
Colin Ardron
Elite athlete

Postby Mr T » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:44 pm

Ok. Good to see a bit of generated interest in this outing. My plan is, on this occasion is to stick to the exact route we took with Craig, to include all seven tops as we did them. Looking forward to it.
Old enough to know better, daft enough to still give it a go...
Mr T
Mid pack runner

Postby Mr T » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:52 pm

Hi folks, a few more details prior to Sunday. I spoke to Janet on Friday and I'm very pleased to say that she intends to be there on Sunday morning to wave us off.
I'm in the process of getting some maps together and all being well I will have a little momento for everyone who visits all 7 seven tops. Smiley face.

Can we all remember to car share where possible, park prettily and gather early enough so we can say hello to Janet and get off at 9am promptly in true Ben Dic style. Although it should be common sense by now, please arrive suitably kitted out i.e. FRA standard kit requirements.

Let's hope the weather is kind to us.
Old enough to know better, daft enough to still give it a go...
Mr T
Mid pack runner

Postby Simon » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:54 pm

Sorry I won't be there Jon... Looks as though it'll be a memorable trip out. 8)
Simon
Elite athlete

Previous

Return to Fell Running