Fell Champs Table 2013

Moderators: Philip Barnes, Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Re: Fell Champs Table

Postby neil clarke » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:16 pm

hi barry...i think the prob with the lantern pike results is that my result reads as being on the runner above me..11th place rather than my 12th..altho the sheet is dificult to read on this work computer !! so i could be reading it wrongly
neil clarke
Plodder

Postby BARRY BLYTH » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:56 pm

You read it correctly Neil. Simple typo; I put your score against Pete Neild. I'll correct at the next update.

cheers Barry
BARRY BLYTH
Elite athlete

Postby BARRY BLYTH » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:12 am

I've updated the table after Wingather. Good to see Rick back and his great run puts him top of the table. With just 2 races left only Simon can catch Rick if he completes these last 2. John Mooney is 2nd with self 3rd. Mark Messenger need to do either Famous Grouse or the club Handycap to move up to second.

For 2013 I've suggested that the current "age handcap" Ken Hall trophy (a lump of rock) is awarded based on a real handycap. On the RHS of the attached table I've worked out a handycap factor using actual times in the years club champs. I've validated the numbers by simply applying to this years results.

Some runners have done a lot of the Wed Night club races but not many of the "club champs" races and vice versa. So I would propose that this trophy be applied across both our these and that a total of any 10 to count (ie could be 5 from each or 10 and 0). For those that have done mainly Wed races and few Club champs races I'll use the Wed night race data to work out a valid handycap.

The merit of this method of handycapping is that it we all start as equal and it compare how we have improved or not relative to the rest.

I'd like some feedback on this.

Barry

PS Let me know if you spot any errors in the table and I'll correct for the next update
Attachments
FellChamps2012 after Windgather.xls
(108 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
BARRY BLYTH
Elite athlete

Re: Fell Champs Table 2013

Postby Philip Barnes » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:52 pm

Well! That was a good start to the 2013 season!! agreat race and great company, thanks guys and girls!
Attachments
FellChamps2013 after Kinder Downfall (2).xls
(67.5 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
"The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict."
http://www.jolokia.uk.com
Philip Barnes
Elite athlete

Postby Colin Ardron » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:01 pm

Missed the Downfall with it's biblical winds (I can just visualise everyone genuflecting at the Downfall and sending up prayers to the almighty to just turn it down a bit), due to a nasty cold.

Sorry to ask a question about the Fell Champs format now it's underway, but I may have missed some discussion early on. Why is the Kinder Trog only a medium at 16m/3490ft and Windgather at a mere 13.5m/2500ft is classified as a long. Surely it should be the other way around.
Colin Ardron
Elite athlete

Postby BARRY BLYTH » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:58 pm

Hi Colin,
simple! Phil's nominated the Trog as a medium. See his post dated 1st Feb. It's fast for the distance.

Barry
BARRY BLYTH
Elite athlete

Postby BARRY BLYTH » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:14 am

Updated table after Sedburgh attached.

Matt Lewis now first followed by Phil Barnes then Steve Watts. Still all to play.

Barry
Attachments
FellChamps2013 after Sedburgh.xls
(98.5 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
BARRY BLYTH
Elite athlete

Postby Philip Barnes » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:00 pm

Updated after Stanage Struggle. (thanks Barry).
Matt is still leading though Swatts could take pole position after Windgather next weekend.

Special note about newcomer Sarah David for her excellent performance at stanage: this was her first race EVER on ANY surface!! Well done!
Attachments
FellChamps2013 after Stannage Struggle.xlsx
(52.4 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
"The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict."
Philip Barnes
Elite athlete

Postby Philip Barnes » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:44 am

Updated after Windgather Fell Race.
I might have been a bit premature announcing winners, there are still 1 or 2 mathematical possibilities to explore.
Attachments
FellChamps2013 after Windgather.xlsx
(47.87 KiB) Downloaded 100 times
Philip Barnes
Elite athlete

Postby Tom Whittington » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:39 am

Phil,

I think there were a few other Harriers in the Windgather not in this table - Although presumably excluded due to not being in contension for the Fell Champs, it will be useful info for Phil Cheek when putting together the Fell Handicap.

Cheers,
Tom
Tom Whittington
Mid pack runner

Postby Philip Barnes » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:00 am

Windgather Results here:
http://www.goytvalleystriders.org.uk/pa ... d2013.html

And yes, the current Fell Champs table reflects only those runners who have, or can, qualify. Despite my efforts this year to make it as easy as possible to qualify, with runners only having to complete 1 medium and 1 short by now (with the handicap being the last long counter) only 8 runners have done the 2 local races required. :(
Philip Barnes
Elite athlete

Postby Tom Whittington » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:25 pm

Fair point. I for one aim to be more on board next year!
Tom Whittington
Mid pack runner

Postby Stephen Watts » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:08 pm

I am surprised so few could find time to do the two fell race required so far to qualify for the club champs. I had thought (wrongly as it turned out) that if the champs were very simple with few races to qualify we would get a lot more participants. I thought that the previous arrangement of 6+ races plus participation points was too time committing for many with families and work etc. who wanted to do other things as well. All I can say is that I was proved completely wrong. There is simply little interest in a fell championship in this club. It does beg the question why we bother with it at all.
Stephen Watts
Mid pack runner

Postby BARRY BLYTH » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:08 pm

I think participation comes down to race selection Steve. I'll be picking races and a structure that will ensure we get a lot more completers. The best runner wins. Also with a valid handicap challenge in addition to the main champs will recognise those that push themselves that bit more regardless of ability. I'm thinking of best 5 from 10 to count. Most race series get a low proportion of "completers" compared to the overall number of runners.

Barry
BARRY BLYTH
Elite athlete

Postby Philip Barnes » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:05 pm

How is race selection? If it's pre-entry people won't do it - if people have to travel, people won't do it. Runners just needed to turn up to a couple of local races, but didn't. People just couldn't give a rat's about a fell champs, seems to be the problem. If the champs isn't there to promote competition, what is it for?( we all know who the fastest runners are, just check mr cheeks handicap system).
" I'll be picking races and a structure that will ensure we get a lot more completers." Wish you had given me the magic formula this year Barry. What will be the secret ingredient?
Philip Barnes
Elite athlete

PreviousNext

Return to Fell Running