Roaches... URGENT (ish)

Moderators: Philip Barnes, Neil Gunn, Colin Ardron, Julian Brown, Nancy

Roaches... URGENT (ish)

Postby Julian Brown » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:32 pm

Below a message from Staffordshire Wildlife Trust, who as you may know manage the Roaches area, somewhere I'm sure most reading this are familiar with. If you agree with their aims, perhaps you could cast your vote in the next day or two, and pass on as you see fit ?

'I'm wondering if you can help us out?

We've been shortlisted for a European Award for 30,000 Euros, which we'd spend on footpath improvement work on the Roaches & Back Forest.

The winner is decided by public vote, and we have until the end of this week to get as many votes as possible.

We're currently in the lead!

Voting is free and people don't need to give any personal details - it's a straightforward click.

Would you be able to help vote for us and spread the word too ?'

http://outdoorconservation.eu/project-voting-category.cfm?catid=1
Julian Brown
Elite athlete

Re: Roaches... URGENT (ish)

Postby phil cheek » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:43 pm

If "footpath improvement" means laying horrid stone flags like they did over Shining Tor & many many other places I`d go to great lengths to STOP them.
Phil
phil cheek
Elite athlete

Postby mhlewis » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:14 pm

Ahhh! The good old days of bog trotting.
"Ankle deep? Nay lad, it were up to 'ere! <indicates some distance above head> That were real test o' navigation skills!"
Matt Lewis
mhlewis
Elite athlete

Postby Colin Ardron » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:02 am

Interesting to note that "repairing" footpaths around the Roaches is lumped into the same category as saving Rwandan chimpanzees and Nepalese Red Pandas. I know where my vote will be going and it ain't on wasting euros on flipping footpaths. Get rid of all those big bouldery things called the Roaches and Hen Cloud then nobody would want to go there anyway. Or here's another thought (careful now!) on how the money might be better spent: how about a project to compel people who get lost on Kinder to go on a compulsory navigation course before they are allowed out again http://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2014/0 ... ut-walkers
Colin Ardron
Elite athlete

Postby Lilly » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:05 pm

But to get lost on Kinder is why we go there.
Woof Woof
Lilly
Mid pack runner

Postby mudskimmer » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:30 pm

What on earth is wrong with the current paths?
always seemed adequate to me?
mudskimmer
Elite athlete

Postby Julian Brown » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:36 pm

I'm sure you'll all be glad to hear that I understand the stone flags are being unloaded as we speak.

So they don't need quite so many, I believe they're going to be laid say 4" apart, so 'mind the gap'

http://www.staffs-wildlife.org.uk/news/2014/10/08/wildlife-trust-wins-%E2%82%AC30000-roaches-improvements
Julian Brown
Elite athlete

Return to Fell Running